Four days in Mexico?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
Matthew Holliman

Four days in Mexico?

by Matthew Holliman » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:12 pm

What are the best places to go in Mexico for 4 days (e.g. over Thanksgiving in particular) for hiking/peak bagging?

To avoid hassles with the airlines, I don't want to take technical gear, so something 4th class or less and snow-free is ideal. An area where we could dayhike a different peak each day would be perfect.

We're thinking of Guadalajara (e.g. Nevado de Colima, Parícutin, Tancítaro, and a day around Lake Chapala), but those peaks don't look terribly interesting. There must be better options in the country, but I don't know what they are (or even where to look to find out about them). Information on the web is scarce. Even SP only seems to have coverage of the Monterrey/Saltillo area, the big volcanoes around Mexico City, and the Guatemala border! (I'm interested in both of the latter two areas, of course, but there's too much to see/do in just a 4 day trip).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Nevado de Colima, Parícutin

Those are pretty interesting, I would think. Nevado de Colima (if open) should have a good view of the active peak and Parícutin is the "newest" mountain in the world.

Matthew Holliman

by Matthew Holliman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Yep, 4 days isn't long, which is why I was excluding the high volcanoes and Guatemala, and looking for lower/more accessible stuff. I plan on spending about a week in each of those two areas in the future (probably next year)--I'll most likely hike La Malinche as one of the acclimatization days before Orizaba. (I don't really want to go out to Mexico City if I'm not doing the bigger peaks.)

Scott, I gather Volcan de Colima is active and thus always closed, but Nevado de Colima should be accessible, correct? btw, are axe/crampons needed for this in Nov usually? are there are other peaks/hikes around that area that you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:25 pm

but Nevado de Colima should be accessible, correct?

I belive so, but I haven't been to Mexico since the 90's. I haven't heard of the Nevado being closed though, and there isn't anything that indicates so on the SP page.

btw, are axe/crampons needed for this in Nov usually?

Usually, the only mountains that need ice axe and crampons in the entire country are Izta, Orizaba, and formerly Popo. Late November is also the dry season.

Other than the two I mentioned, I'm not familiar with any of the other peaks in the area. I know Baja California has some nice peaks, but I haven't been out that way.

no avatar
Alex Hiker

by Alex Hiker » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:46 am

I've been on Izta last March. It ABSOLUTELY did not need any crampons or ice axe. I would suggest Izta, because it is probably the highest one available to do without any gear and 4 days would be sufficient for the acclimatization and summit (2 days arrival and acclimatization, 1 day to Grupo de Los Cien, 1 day to summit and down to Amacameca and further to Mexico City or wherever you need).
I admit, though, that conditions might be quite different in November.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean