Cerro Torre in Google Earth?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
mtnpainter

Cerro Torre in Google Earth?

by mtnpainter » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi everyone, are there any Google Earth users here?

I am looking for Cerro Torre and I found the general vicinity of where it should be, but none of the mountains have labels, and I can't ID it.

Does anyone know where in Google Earth Cerro Torre is? I'm really having a hard time with this! Lol.

Thank you!
Gloria

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:22 am

I was just looking at it last night, but not on this computer so I can't give you the direct info. But it looks like nothing on Google, just a lump slightly steeper than the lumps around it. Google is not so good for this sort of thing. You can find it by showing the roads and matching the nearby lakes - there is a road into the village of Chalten, which is very close.

There is an amazing pic of that whole area here on SP, taken from the International Space Station. One of the best you'll ever see.

D

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:56 pm

It's there if you turn on the geographic features layer in the bottom left-hand menu of Google Earth. However, it just shows up a name on a white background.

Bergrot

by Bergrot » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm

I was also looking for Cerro Torre in GE sometimes. It's realy difficult to find it there, because of a lack of resolution and accuracy in this region.

I would determine the point 49°17'32" S, 73°05'49" W as Cerro Torre. Only the shadows can be used for orientation. The shadow of Fitz Roy is very obvious, but not for Cerro Torre.

Where can I find the picture from the ISS? Link?

desainme

by desainme » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:14 pm

I think I found Cerro Torre but it is kinda sawed off about 9300 feet high. Mt. Blanc is also 1000 feet down and the Matterhorn is totally sawed off as is Annapurna. Pyramid Peak in the Elk Mountains and Mt. Katahdin are done very well and if you tilt Google Earth you get the effect as if you were looking at the real thing.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:34 am

http://www.summitpost.org/image/194615/ ... llite.html

You won't find many better shots that show all of Mariano Moreno, either.

D

mtnpainter

by mtnpainter » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks guys, geez, I forgot to check back on this.

I finally found it, and a lot of wonderful photos here. I had to give up the project until I can do it the old fashioned way - with modeling clay.

I appreciate the help very much!
Gloria

Return to South America