Your opinion needed: What to bring to climb the volcanos

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
sloggmeister

Your opinion needed: What to bring to climb the volcanos

by sloggmeister » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm going to be climbing the volcanos- Nevado de Toluca, Ixta, and Orizaba this December. I'm having my obsessive-compulsive gear dilemma: what to bring?
Should I bring a rope and harness? (If protection is needed, would I do best with pickets or ice screws?)
Would you rope up at all?
Avy stuff (shovel probe beacon)?
Water filter or tablets?
I usually bring way too much, even in the Cascades where I am familiar with the conditions.
How hard is it to find a Camp Assistant to watch the extra stuff back at camp?

Haliku

Re: Your opinion needed: What to bring to climb the volcano

by Haliku » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:49 pm

sloggmeister wrote:I'm going to be climbing the volcanos- Nevado de Toluca, Ixta, and Orizaba this December. I'm having my obsessive-compulsive gear dilemma: what to bring?
Should I bring a rope and harness? (If protection is needed, would I do best with pickets or ice screws?)
Would you rope up at all?
Avy stuff (shovel probe beacon)?
Water filter or tablets?
I usually bring way too much, even in the Cascades where I am familiar with the conditions.
How hard is it to find a Camp Assistant to watch the extra stuff back at camp?

First off check the couple of detailed trip reports if you havent' already.

Rope and harness are not needed. Avy stuff not needed. For water bring 5 gallon jugs up to 'basecamp' with you. Depending on who takes you to the hut on Orizaba they can arrange for a camp guard. We didn't need one on Itza since the hut was locked up. If you have any questions feel free to PM/email me. Cheers!

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:00 pm

Weight is definitely your enemy here- I would check the current conditions to avoid carrying ice pro if you can. If you are acclimatized from the lower peaks I would also recommend not making a high camp. If you are acclimatized and fit you will only need 6-7 hours if conditions are right and you aren't going with a large group. My $.03. Also I bought 10 liter bottles of purified water for $1.50, you can easily transport these to the hut if you have a ride.

Woodie

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:58 pm

I rented crampons and Iceax in Tlachichuca. Otherwise a down "sweater", fleece, shell and long underwear for the cold morning. Like said, you can get a big bottle of water in town. No water in camp.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean