Damavand in May?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
peon

Damavand in May?

by peon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi. I wonder if it is possible to climb Mount Damavand in May?

Corax

by Corax » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 am

I climbed Damavand in early June (perhaps even late May, not sure) so I guess it should be fine.

no avatar
peon

by peon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. How is it to travel in Iran as a westener? Do people speak english? Is there any anger towards westeners due to the political situation?

Corax

by Corax » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:09 pm

peon wrote:Thanks for your reply. How is it to travel in Iran as a westener? Do people speak english? Is there any anger towards westeners due to the political situation?

I found travel in Iran great!
One of the friendliest countries I've ever been to.
Always a lot of hospitality and helpful people all around.
Even the secret police, which arrested me a couple of times (very short term, when in the wrong place at the wrong time) to check me out, were strict but very correct. Not a real problem and I don't think you'll have a problem with that. It happened to me when I was cycling in the outback. Twice I got too close to the Afghani border and the other time I by mistake ended up in a "bad part" of a big city in the middle of the night. They (the police) told me they were worried about my safety and I guess that was the case.

No anger against westerners (or at least not at me). Some hated some western governments and leaders, but they made a real distinction between that and hating an individual.

English is widely spoken in the bigger cities and in the countryside it's not so much of a problem either. If you're trying to get the message through to a person who doesn't speak a word of English, that person usually found someone who could interpret.

I think you'll like your time in Iran.

Return to Asia