Khan Tengri June and Trekking

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Ski Mountaineer

Khan Tengri June and Trekking

by Ski Mountaineer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi!

I am curiuos about two things:

1. has anybody climbed Khan Tengri in late June?
2. has any SPer done the trek to one of the Inylchek glaciers? Seems not too hard from Maida-Adir (3 days?).

We might be be around the region in mid-June, fully acclimatized. Cannot really motivate myself too much for Pik Lenin, and Pik Somoni cannot be reached that early.

Also - the first helis fly around the 20th of June?

Thanks,

Cheers,
Peter

radson

by radson » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:23 am

I am planning on being in that region in Mid July. I have been in touch with K2 adventures for their fixed date departures.

BigLee

by BigLee » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:25 am

It will be very difficult to climb Khan Tengri in June I am afraid. I opened the regular southern route in 2005 around mid-July. The mountain has a small window for climbing it (mid July to end of August) due to its northern latitude. Conditions on the West ridge would likely be desparate outside these months. The peak was climbed last winter so it's not totally impossible outside the regular season although the guy who climbed it did go on to put up one of the bigest Alpine routes in the Himalaya in 2006.

Return to Asia