These guys have been really busy stealing photos from SP

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
rpc

Re: These guys have been really busy stealing photos from SP

by rpc » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:54 am

....ooops, slow typing fingers.
Martin already said this before I hit "Post".

Karl Helser

by Karl Helser » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:26 pm

I've had copyright issues also...........Check out this <A HREF="http://www.summitpost.org/show/mread.pl?f_id=10&t_id=3916">thread</A>

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:01 am

Not only is feildtouring right about the deliberate nature of this fraud, but you'd have to wonder about the general professionalism of an outfit like this and it's impact on client's safety and enjoyment.
Edit: Woooow forgot to read the second page before posting - please ignore.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Corax

by Corax » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:56 pm

As bad as <a href=//www.expedition.sk><b>this thief</b></a> and all his other mirror sites. He said he was sorry earlier in this thread (see above. submitter: aigisthos), but at the same time he says "he used the photos for good thing". Yeah right Mr Robin Hood.
On top of that he did not delete all of my photos until I reminded him a couple of more times.
He still use photos originally stolen from summitpost. No credits given. Huberschwiller, losdestroy and ppatenall may have given him the go ahead. I don't know. Photos taken by Palic can also be found there, but he seems to have some sort of connection to aigisthos, so I'm sure there's no trouble there.

Dan,
Mail this Mercedario photo thief and ask him what kind of behaviour it is?

A thing to think about is to create a black list of expedition organizers that behave in a rotten way. Summitpost is getting large and influential enough to do that.
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:57 pm

His apology doesn't make any sense. He claims that he makes websites for other peoples' expeditions. If that is true, why would he need to take photos from here? Why not use the photos from the expeditions that he is putting together web sites for?

JScoles

by JScoles » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:29 pm

If you want to hurt him where it counts contact Google and his other sponsore and inform then that his site has unautorized photos on it.

This guy is just a poser kid who want to make a name for himself of course this will come back to bite him in the ass eventually.

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:15 pm

I just did a quick Google Image search and found my Shisha Pangma photo that I have posted at both <a href="http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/photo_link.pl?photo_id=16194&object_id=715&type=mountain&mountain_id=715&route_id=">here at SP</a> and at <a href=" http://www.peakware.com/encyclopedia/pe ... pangma.htm">Peakware.com</a> is being used at at least 9 separate sites - only one of which credits me with the photo, One site references Peakware at the bottom of the page.

And even at Peakware itself, <a href=" http://www.peakware.com/encyclopedia/pe ... pangma.htm">at he mountain page</a> someone has jacked the picture and put advertising on it.

But my favorite is <a href="http://www.spitz-wachau.at/aktuellarchiv/archiv2003/2003_17/2003_17.htm">HERE</a> where some guy has superimposed himself on to the picture.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:19 pm

<i>But my favorite is HERE where some guy has superimposed himself on to the picture.</i>

He sure LOOKS like he's dressed for a trip up Shisha Pangma, doesn't he?

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:21 pm

Oh geez Fred, that last example is especially egregious!

fieldtouring

by fieldtouring » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:29 pm

That's Dan Mazurs ad on Peakware (summitclimb) You'll probably find his 'web designer' has done it 'inadvertantly'.

Send an email to: marshall@wildernet.com and tell them, he owns the site and doesn't tolerate copyright baddies.

This seems widespread - I Image Googled Field Touring images and found several more sites using our stuff. As far as expedition.sk is concerned (the culprit who started this thread!) he has made amends as far as Im aware and is in fact going to do some web design for us - he is actually quite talented... Ahh the way the world works.

Nelson

by Nelson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:40 pm

Dan Mazur's site was 'inadvertantly' using my Kangchenjunga photo without credit, until I <a href="http://www.cybernet1.com/himalaya/kangchenjunga.htm">stumbled on it</a> by chance one day. I sent them an E-mail and they promptly credited me. Mazur apologized and sent me a small Tibetan weaving from Kathmandu. Then they put me on their E-mail contact list.

Corax

by Corax » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Here we go again.
This site: http://www.gipfel.iso-gewinde.at/weltberge.html
Jvdm's photo here. Cho Oyu.
Fieldtouring's here. Gasherbrum II.
Radson's here. Muztagh Ata.
Mine here and here and here. Pik Lenin, Ojos del Salado and Pik Razdelaya.
Elias Segovia's here. Tocllaraju.
And so on.

Roger

by Roger » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Unless I am mistaken this thread is a waste of time, sure people feel upset that their photos are being used though who is going to police this and to what end?

Does it ultimately matter anyway?

Do people really care?

What happens with the 2nd, 3rd and so on generation photos that get taken from sites and used again on another site and so on.

The way I see it you are chasing your own tail and there are far more important things in life to be concerned with.

Roger

Corax

by Corax » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:33 pm

Roger wrote:Does it ultimately matter anyway?

Do people really care?

The way I see it you are chasing your own tail and there are far more important things in life to be concerned with.

Wrong!
Copyright laws apply.
I'm a member of BLF - Bildleverantörernas Förening (Photo Deliverer's Association). There are equivalents in almost every country. As a member, a copyright lawyer who helps me with matters like these is included in the annual fee.
Last year my income from copyright violations brought me about 5500 Euros, so I don't think it can be judged as chasing my own tail.

When a I saw my photos being "borrowed" the first times I didn't really care, but when they appeared on too many commercial sites I got pissed off. What really pushed me over the line was when a famous adventurer copyrighted my photo with his own name.
Usually, I send the theives a mail first asking them to either put my name under the photo or remove it. When I get no reply or a fuck off, I go to the lawyer.

Some of my income comes from photography and some of the photos I post here are unique. Many of them I have paid for with blood, sweat and tears. Some have almost costed me my life. The only other option would be to remove ALL material from SP.

Some may say; well it's the web. Just accept it. I can't see why theft is sort of legal on the www, when it isn't in most other situations in life.

PreviousNext

Return to General