job offer in Heidelberg

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
nikolai

job offer in Heidelberg

by nikolai » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:30 pm

I have been offered a job in Heidelburg. What's that place like? How close is good hiking? Is that giant green area to the immediate East of Heidelburg (on Google maps) riddled with hiking trails? How about climbing crags? How easy is it to hop on a train and get to awesome hiking in the Alps? What's the road/MTB scene like there? How's the wine?

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:20 pm

By all means do it. There is one great crag just outside the city (Schriesheim) and several others not far away. In crap weather, there is a great climbing gym in Ludwighafen and the local climbing scene is very friendly. Hiking trails abound in the hills surrounding the city. And the wine, excellent.

In 3 hours, you can be in the Swiss Alps and in 5 hours, you can be in Chamonix. Say yes before its too late.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:18 pm

First, Heidelberg is one of the nicest cities in Germany.
You are in the Swiss-Alps within 3 hours.
The Schwarzwald (Black Forest) ist a very good hiking area. You reach it in one hour. Hiking through the wineyards around Heidelberg is also very popular.
If you´re climbing, you´re a lucky one. One of the biggest climbing area of Germany (Pfalz) is located westwards of Heidelberg (30-60min)

Sebastian

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:21 pm

Its beautiful! I would take a job there! :-)

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Lovely area but, if this is your first experience working in Europe, be prepared for:

- crowds
- poor, off-hand service everywhere you go. Europeans pay lip service to the "American way" but, in point of fact, they'd rather be at home or (particularly) on holiday than doing what they're paid to do
- driving really fast
- awful coffee (in Germany anyway)
- even worse TV than the US
- crowds
- ubiquitous smoking - particularly in areas set aside for no-smoking
- being constantly on guard against theft. This is an epidemic throughout Europe and mainly the result of roving eastern European gangs who, with the expansion of the EU, have easy access to the rich pickings in the west
- did I mention crowds?

You may, in terms of distance, be right next door to the Alps. But try getting there on Friday night down the A5. Last month it took us 3 hours to travel from Zurich to Bern (~100km). No accidents or roadworks. There are just too many cars for the road network to handle. No problem, of course, if your preferred travel is by train. The DB, SSB and SNCF are all excellent.

If it's still in print, I'd recommend "Rundwanderungen Nordschwarzwald" by Werner Schmidt (Fink Verlag) and there's probably an equivalent from Fink on the Odenwald, which is closer to where you'll be.

If it's rock climbing you're into and as others have said, the Pfalz is a great area. Have a look at Gangolf's many submissions on SP.

Schoene Reise und viel Erfolg !!

Moni

by Moni » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:25 am

I take issue with some of the comments in the last post.

Thieving is common no matter where you go - it is no worse in Germany than elsewhere. Common sense should prevail. I have more or less grown up and traveled regularly there over 50 years and never yet been ripped off.

Yes, smoking is still an issue - but slowly getting better.

It is expensive - so make sure you are being paid VERY well.

The coffee is just fine. The wine is great, and most of the beer is, too. Germany makes better white than red, but there are notable exceptions. (I am of the opinion that one should be able to see through neither coffee or beer....)

Yes, it is crowded. But public transprtation is great. And there is little or no bullshit once you decide on a climb or hike - no fees, no registration.

If you screw up , you are liable for your rescue - so get rescue insurance.

Any time you have the opportunity to live and work in another country, go for it.

From a US perspective, Europe is small - it's not far to all the other countries and you will have some great opportunities to experience a wide array of geography and cultures.

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:48 am

Any time you have the opportunity to live and work in another country, go for it.

Definitly! I just spent 6 months working in Berlin and it was fantastic.

But it is exspensive! So make sure you are making a good wage!

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: job offer in Heidelberg

by Gangolf Haub » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:34 am

nikolai wrote:I have been offered a job in Heidelburg. What's that place like? How close is good hiking? Is that giant green area to the immediate East of Heidelburg (on Google maps) riddled with hiking trails? How about climbing crags? How easy is it to hop on a train and get to awesome hiking in the Alps? What's the road/MTB scene like there? How's the wine?

I'm currently working at SAP in Walldorf some 10 miles south of HD. The city is nice though sometimes overcrowded with tourists., As for hiking, Heidelberg is located at the mouth of the Neckar River Valley, where it heads out of the Odenwald mountain range. No real mountains but certainly good hiking there. An hour away to the west you'll find this area and even if you don't climb it's a beautiful hiking area as well. The Alps are 3h to the south...

Jay Power

by Jay Power » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:53 pm

vancouver islander wrote:Lovely area but, if this is your first experience working in Europe, be prepared for:

- crowds
- poor, off-hand service everywhere you go. Europeans pay lip service to the "American way" but, in point of fact, they'd rather be at home or (particularly) on holiday than doing what they're paid to do
- driving really fast
- awful coffee (in Germany anyway)
- even worse TV than the US
- crowds
- ubiquitous smoking - particularly in areas set aside for no-smoking
- being constantly on guard against theft. This is an epidemic throughout Europe and mainly the result of roving eastern European gangs who, with the expansion of the EU, have easy access to the rich pickings in the west
- did I mention crowds?

A few points re. the previous post:

service - yes, we Europeans are far too damned honest.
awful coffee - only if you like a pint of milkshake tasting vaguely coffee like.
even worse tv - at least you get to see some tv in between the trailers.
crowds - because people want to visit these places perhaps?
theft - never suffered from this in 40 years. So the US is crime free is it?
driving - perhaps everyone else drives too slowly?
smoking - AGREED (but things are changing fast)

Charles

by Charles » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:42 pm

GO!!!

Poor Climber

by Poor Climber » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Oh, and driving on the Autobahn is AMAZING!!! :D

Charles

by Charles » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Poor Climber wrote:Oh, and driving on the Autobahn is AMAZING!!! :D

Get the T-shirt

"I survived German Autobahns"

phaque3006

by phaque3006 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:07 pm

charles wrote:[
Get the T-shirt

"I survived German Autobahns"

That or "Where the hell is Ausfart, Germany?" shirt. On another note, I live in Germany now, and as has been said several times already, crowds are a problem, I dont know so much about crime, but the Turks dont take to kindly to Americans generally. Public transportation is excellent throughout Europe, be it trains or by air, cars are much like anywhere else in America, just faster, thanks to the autobahn. :) If you ever want to do any hiking, let me know though. I live about 45mins from Nurnberg.

supermarmot

by supermarmot » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Lolli wrote:Do it! Say YES!

About coffee, well I guess as an American you'll won't notice any difference with the German coffee
:lol:
(no offense, just teasing)

hey, watch it lolli :wink:
you might rephrase this as follows: 'as a VIRGINIAN you won't notice the difference with the German coffee...'

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:41 pm

supermarmot wrote:
Lolli wrote:Do it! Say YES!

About coffee, well I guess as an American you'll won't notice any difference with the German coffee
:lol:
(no offense, just teasing)

hey, watch it lolli :wink:
you might rephrase this as follows: 'as a VIRGINIAN you won't notice the difference with the German coffee...'

... and if you go to an Espresso Bar you will get the real Italian thing ...

Anyway - Germans drink a lot of coffee - as far as i know the biggest consumption per capita worldwide. Can't be that bad - and actually isn't. It always depends of where you go - McDonald's might not be the first address :P

Am a teahead myself, har har.

Next

Return to Europe