Storing gear while not climbing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Scott Dusek

Storing gear while not climbing

by Scott Dusek » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:35 pm

This is a general question about travel as much as it specifically relates to South America.

Here goes:

I'll be spending ~4 months in Peru. I'll be in and out of Lima, Huaraz, and Cusco traveling on the cheap, so hostels, dirt floors, and other random bivies will occur.

The problem is what do I do with all my kit when I go out at night? Or down to the market? I don't think a full mountaineering pack with help me much at the disco. Do I just leave my stuff in the room where I'm staying :shock:?

Twice I've had maids in mexico steal stuff out of my hotel room, I can't imagine hostels and lower end motels will be any better?

So... what do I do with all my gear? Can you rent lockers? Chain a jaguar to my pack? Lockable duffle bag chained to something permanent? Curious what the standard practice/what has worked for other.

Thanks,

-Scotty

neoday

by neoday » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:27 pm

the hostel's I have stayed in usually have a room where they lock luggage and have a safe for smaller items. Sometimes it cost a little to keep stuff in the room, but they are usually ok with it. you could get a "pack safe" thing and try that locked to the bed or something. Just be careful not to flaunt it when you are there. You should be fine, can you call any of the hostels in advance and see what services they offer?

I don't know about renting a locker somewhere. Maybe at the airport or train/bus station?

Good luck and happy travels!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:38 pm

I've always stayed in middle to upper end places in Huaraz (which is no doubt safer than Cusco and Lima), so I can't vouch for others, but I always left my stuff in the room (which was locked) and had no problems. Forget lockers; they don't exist. You probably should have a locked duffle. If you don't need to get to them, you can have the place you're staying put bags in a storage room, but I think a locked duffle would be safe enough. When I've been out climbing, I've left stuff with the hotel to store for me, and the base camp was always guarded by the cook. Oh, and if the hotel has a safe, you should have them keep your passport.

Haliku

by Haliku » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 pm

Think about joining the South American Explorers club. They have clubhouses in Lima and Cusco, as well as Ecuador and Argentina. Membership allows day use of the clubhouse, local research as well as gear storage. I used the clubhouse in Cusco to store gear when I was out and about. Cheers!

CClaude

by CClaude » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:13 pm

Lock your duffel, but most hostels have locked rooms which are safe. They know that its their livelihood, and if things get stolen, the gringos will take their dollars other places. Ask ElCapKoolaid about recommendations. He's down their every year, and is good friends with many of the hotel owners and can make good recommendations.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:42 pm

Many hostals have like cage areas in the room assigned to each occupant, bring your own lock. I think since most travlers have this same concern, often allowences are made for it. Like others say, you can leave your gear with the desk guy, but he is usually not to conciencious about it, just sometimes dropping it in an open room off the lobby, I always put it there myself and tuck it back in a corner. I put my gear in an old army duffle or something that does not look to flashy. Otherwise I have seen, some company makes a steel mesh bag that is not to heavy, that you could put your gear in and then lock to something solid in the room (a radiator, or the bed) Seems like this issue is always a hassle. Best of luck, stolen gear is a real drag.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Standard practice is to lock it in a duffel and give the manager a buck or two to watch it or lock it in a different room/closet.

Eight trips to Latin America, almost always budget hotels and I've never had anything stolen.

Return to South America