Easy Snow Climb in Mt Aspiring or Mt Cook NP's?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Britette

Easy Snow Climb in Mt Aspiring or Mt Cook NP's?

by Britette » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 pm

I am looking for an easy snow climb to do around the middle of December in either Mt Aspiring or Mt Cook National Parks. I would like to climb a peak that requires an overnite before hand (camping ok) and we can get up and out in one day. By easy snow climb I basically mean a walk up - no ropes - on 40 degree max snow. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:03 am

Mount Earnslaw. Highpoint of Otago. In Mt Aspiring NP. Overnight camp at Kea Basin (1000m) or Esquilant bivvy in Wright Col (about 2200m). I'm going this summer if yer interested in meeting up. Not too difficult at all providing the weather co-operates.

Double Cone in the remarkables might be an option too (doesn't really need a camp out though)

Mount Barff (ASpiring NP) looks good . SP member ktnbs has a loose plan for this last I heard from him. Try emailing him.

Mt Cook NP, try Mt Olivier (SP page on this one too), Glacier Dome etc for good views of Mt Cook.

Mt Rollestone, near Arthurs Pass, and Tapue O Uenuku (Inner Kaikoura Range), might also be of interest to you.

See Earnslaw, Tapue O Uenuku and Double Cone pages on SP.

edit: Almost forgot Mt Armstrong just above Brewster Hut (Access from the road at Haast pass) It should be snowy this year after the good falls. Last time I was on it was a drought year and the top was like climbing on broken dinner plates. You can camp at Brewster Hut. Great views of Mt Brewster (Brewster's a choss pile - don't try it without partners and gear)

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:43 am

Hi :)

Mt Ollivier will most likely be a rock scramble in summer rather than snow, but it is still a great trip where you can spend a night up around 1800m, or you could fit it into one day if time is a problem.

I'll be in NZ all of January. Will be climbing in the northern parts of MT Cook NP until the 12th then after that, looking at doing cascade saddle or something of the like :) DadnDave, if you are in NZ during Jan08 and want some company for Earnslaw, I would like to do that one myself also :)

Cheers,
Dan.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:31 pm

G'day Dan,

Mt Ollivier return in one day to Mt Cook Village. My quads are burning just thinking about the descent from Sealy Tarns. :D

At this stage it's looking most likely that January will be our stint in NZ so yeah, let's meet up.

Supermarmot and ktnbs are potential starters last time I swapped emails. Looks like there may be other starters too.

Cheers mate

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:34 pm

What are you planning in "the northern part of Mt Cook NP" ???

Elie De Beaumont?

Rick B

by Rick B » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:10 am

Sleeping at Mueller hut would give you a great sunrise wouldn't it? The Sefton ice wall is facing more or less east, catching the full sun?

Make sure you take a 'jumping photo' on the rock out front of the hut ;)

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi DadnDave,

Yep, mt ollivier in one day would be a quad burner and knee bender lol.... but do-able hehehe. Not too sure which peaks I'll be climbing yet. I'm climbing with Alpine Guides until the 12th and we will most likely be around the top of he Tasman Glacier. I'm going to meet Dad over there also, and we are gong to do Mueller Hut, Mt Olliveir and Hopefully mt Kitchener also on the 13th an 14th. After that no set plans yet. Were thinking about cascade saddle, but I'm keen for Earnslaw and Dad will prob be up for that also. We fly out on the 30th Jan, so from about the 15th to 30th will be the dates for Dad and I. What dates were you planning?

CHeers,
Dan.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:42 pm

15th to 30th sounds as good as any. I'll try and work around those dates. Might join you for Cascade Saddle too. We could get Mrs dadndave to pick us up from Strawberry flat. How's that for service? Or, we could do it from Strawberry flat and do Earnslaw on the way out from Cascade. You have to pass right under Earnslaw anyway as you go through the Rees Valley.

I think I'd better start getting fit. Wanna come up to Tibro?

I'll PM supermarmot and ktnbs.....

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Tibro sounds good. I also want to get up beerwah and barney too :) It will be good if we get a bit of a group going for Earnslaw, the more the merrier :) between th 15h and 30th sounds great!! I'm getting really pumped for NZ, cant wait till January. I'll pm you my mobile number so we can organise training days etc on the local peaks:)

Britette

Thanks for the info

by Britette » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:46 pm

Lots of good ideas there - thanks! Although I will be in NZ Dec 10 - Jan 18, I am spending January with family in Malborough/Nelson region, so December is when I'd be doing any mountaineering. Let me know if your plans change.

no avatar
SOE digital

by SOE digital » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:23 am

G'day guys. I'm looking at maybe heading across the pond to New Zealand (from Perth) at the end of the year. If you're all still doing this trip, do you mind a bit of extra company?

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:32 pm

G'day SOE.

Like Dan said, The more the merrier. Watch this space, I guess.

hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:47 am

Hey guys - I keep seeing you posting here and it's making me jealous. I want to come! Anyone interested in funding my plane ticket from the states to come join you all!?
Happy planning,
Howie

no avatar
SOE digital

by SOE digital » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:23 am

Cheap flight to Queens Town for January from Perth so things are looking good for me getting there.
Might have to borrow some cash from the old folks to get some boots and shit though. Are there any gear hire services around Queens Town for climbing kit?

All I have is rock gear.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:46 am

SOE, You can hire axes, crampons and clothing from Queenstown. There's two places on Shotover St. Can't remember the names of them but they are very easy to find. Both on the southern (lake) side of the street. If I recall correctly, axes and crampons were about $10/day each.

Howie, you bastard. What I wanna know is who is funding all the other travel you've being doing? :D

Next

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands