Mercedario - latest conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
hikerman99

by hikerman99 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:34 pm

The road has reportedly been open for more than a year--in fact it may be open all the way to the lake at about 3000 meters. I will be there this Saturday 8)

Bob

Corax

by Corax » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 pm

hikerman99 wrote:The road has reportedly been open for more than a year--in fact it may be open all the way to the lake at about 3000 meters. I will be there this Saturday 8)

I have heard the same, that the road is repaired now, but I didn't know it was ok all the way up to the lake/laguna. I guess the lake in question is the one in the main valley, not the one leading up the smaller valley towards Mercedario?
Looking forward to get some info from you later on, so I can update my pages about the area.

If anyone is interested in the Molles flashflood and why the road has been closed, you can have a look at this trip report.

hikerman99

by hikerman99 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Just returning from Mercedario. The road is open all the way to Laguna Blanca (about 3100 meters) as this is now heavily used by the mining company, which apparently is starting up a copper mine much further down the road. No permits are needed. You only need to stop at Las Juntas on the way up the road and sign a document and show your Passport.

Bob

William Marler

by William Marler » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Great news. Thanks

Return to South America