India Ideas - Beyond Stok Kangri . . .

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
rocky29oct

by rocky29oct » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:08 pm

hi,

i am from india living in cleveland, oh. I have done some climbing in india when i was in college. There are really some good peaks in uttaranchal. They are high abt 23000 ft but some of them are challanging. (Mt. Shivling, Mt. Satopanth, Bhagirathi)

I hope this info is good enogh for u.

Rocky

mt_daydream

by mt_daydream » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:03 am

Hi DB,
Are you going by yourselves, or with parter(s)? Do you want to climb with guides, or by yourselves? These factors will make a difference.

Stok Kangri early in the season could be more challenging. If you want to make it interesting, you could try a route up the direct east face. There is not much documented about this face, but when I looked back in May of 2006, looked like there are some interesting possibilities. Another peak nearby in Ladakh is Kang Yatze. The normal glacier route upto the main summit is at least as tough as DC on Rainier, if not more. As you might know already, 14k feet and 21k feet are different terrains. Kang Yatze is 6400m. The direct North Face of Kang Yatze is tough.

Leh area is better weather and access wise (daily flights from Delhi to Leh starting in May). Gharwal area is not as accessible.

PM me if you want to know more about possibilities in Ladakh. Have fun in India!

dmiki

by dmiki » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi DB,

There are many nice peaks in Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttaranchal that would fit your skill level I think. Have a look at the Lonely Planet: Trekking in the Indian Himalaya book to get a rough idea of the area. Of course there are many other peaks in the region that are not mentioned in the book (and not even on the many terrible maps).

You might find some useful info here as well: http://www.indmount.org/

At least in Ladakh finding good guides, companies for the more difficult peaks could be tricky. I bumped into several companies advertising peaks in Leh, who showed pictures of other peaks than what they were talking about...

Michael

kaushaldesai

Climbing and trekking in India

by kaushaldesai » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 am

Hi DB

If you are still looking for info on climbing in India check out my website www.above14000ft.com i guess you should find it useful.

If you need more info then drop me a mail.

cheers

kaushal

mt_daydream

above14k

by mt_daydream » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 am

Hi Kaushal,

Welcome to SummitPost!!

I checked out your web page, and must say I'm impressed. I've not seen/heard of any other guiding/trekking company from that region (i.e., Indian Himalayas) mention LNT. Keep up the good work!

kaushaldesai

Thankx

by kaushaldesai » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:56 am

hi MT

Thank you for your note. :) have u been to this part of the world?

k

D Watson

by D Watson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:15 pm

check out Nun, 7000m

Cy Kaicener

Peaks in India

by Cy Kaicener » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Welcome to summitpost DB05 and Kaushal. I also thought you had an interesting website and profile Kaushal and put it under Personal Websites in the General section.

kaushaldesai

hi cy

by kaushaldesai » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:22 am

Hi cy thank you for the tip will do it later :)

Return to Asia