Matterhorn conditions in late season ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
stubborn

Matterhorn conditions in late season ?

by stubborn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi
I wonder if someone have experience or some idea about Hörnliridge on Matterhorn in late season conditions (20 nov) ?
Is it in most cases really icy conditions on the granite with very slow climbingspeed as a result ?
I know we need a lot of luck with the weather but is there usually some climbers on the mountain that period ?
Do anybody know if the winter accommodations is accessible on Hörnlihut year round ?

Would be very grateful for some reflections
/Patrik

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Matterhorn conditions in late season ?

by Flachlandtiroler » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 pm

stubborn wrote:I know we need a lot of luck with the weather but is there usually some climbers on the mountain that period ?

On gipfelbuch.ch you can search the summit logs by date and find early october as the last entry in season.

Within camptocamp.org there are some winter ascents (in french) but apart from that nothing behind mid of september.
Do anybody know if the winter accommodations is accessible on Hörnlihut year round?

Is also desribed in the gipfelbuch (see above, in german) -- in short a room is open but poorly equipped.

See also http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/2 ... sweet.html

Martin

no avatar
stubborn

by stubborn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:43 am

This was realy necessary information
- A very big thanks !!
/Patrik

Return to Europe