What's New in the Midwest...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:58 pm

Very nice, samh! I've been compiling some notes on that area but you've blown away what little progress I had for an SP page.

Do you want to include Eagle Mountain there?

I also added a Midwest page (mostly sand dunes):
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/43 ... shore.html

trekker

by trekker » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:02 am

samh wrote:I put a lot of work into a page about the Sawtooth Range, located along Minnesota's North Shore of Lake Superior. There is only one peak that falls within this range featured on Summit Post at this time which leaves at least four or five pages that need to be built.

I have filled out a lot of information on the range page - enough to qualify it as being complete, but I plan to continue adding information in the form of stuff that isn't necessary but is valuable. Please visit, read, vote and comment accordingly because, to quote the first post in this thread, "I find that Midwest submissions tend to get easily missed on SummitPost."

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/43 ... e-mn-.html

Very nice work indeed, samh! I visited and voted on this page earlier today. I especially like the reference info you included and the nod to Lutsen ski area. I was planning on checking out Lutsen and Eagle Mountain this winter, now I have some additional beta to plan that trip. Thanks for posting!

I see you are from Bozeman, Montana. I have a cousin who lives there, and hope to visit your neck of the woods sometime soon.

samh

by samh » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:00 am

Tom, Arthur, thanks for the comments.

I've been compiling some notes on that area but you've blown away what little progress I had for an SP page.

If you've got stuff you want to see on there, let me know and I'll add it in.

Do you want to include Eagle Mountain there?

I should add Eagle (not the high point in Minnesota Eagle, but the one at Lutsen). I don't believe the Minnesota High Point is part of the Sawtooth Range.

I see you are from Bozeman, Montana. I have a cousin who lives there, and hope to visit your neck of the woods sometime soon.

I just moved here a couple months ago. I was living in Duluth for a few years before that, and hence my devotion to Minnesota's North Shore. I've hiked the Superior Hiking Trail in one shot and hiked it sections countless other times so I've got some pretty intimate knowledge of the area.

samh

by samh » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:04 am

Looks good - - and informative.

Yeti

by Yeti » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 am

Just found this on Sunday, though I suspected something was there based on Google Earth images. Based on the impressive pedestrian bridge (now closed) that spans the gorge, this place was no secret 20 years ago and it isn't today. I arrived Sunday to find a parking area and a trail system had been put in after the Google Earth image was taken.
At close 1/2 mile, it's likely the longest gorge left in the area (the longest was destroyed by a quarry) and features some cascades and a pair of waterfalls. It's possibly the deepest gorge also, rivaling Hayden Gorge further south. I'll have to trig it out some time, I'm estimating as deep as 70ft.
Getting to the gorge floor wasn't safe, I'll have a rope next time. The trails make the rim very accessible, just find Shawan Falls Dr. in Dublin ohio and you'll find the parking area, the trails, and the falls.
Some pics:
Upper falls:
Lower falls, a bit dry:
Concrete T-beam bridge. Fenced on both ends, but you can still get out on it. I have some guesses why it's closed, but only guesses.
Looking down from the bridge at the lower falls:
Long way up:
Highly recomended stop since it's right int he area. It essentially forms an effective zombie barrier for the northwest of old Dublin proper. Easy to find, tough to explore.

Also, a teaser from another site in the area:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2443 ... avewa7.jpg
See it? Lets get closer:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8026/cave2gn5.jpg
See it? Lets peak in:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8884/cave1vj6.jpg
Oh my, what's round the bend?
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4557/roommd5.jpg
I was alone, so that's as far in as I went. There are 3 such cave in the area, I'm fixin to probe them.

dwhike

by dwhike » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 am

Added a new page...Batchawana Mountain...it cracks the 2000' barrier and is only 45 minutes north of the Soo. Moose, bears, solitude, bushwhacking...oh my :D

dwhike

by dwhike » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:40 am

Revamped and updated the Michigan Wildflowers page for those that are interested. 2008 provided almost 60 new species!

aedwards

by aedwards » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm heading to the North Shore (MN) this weekend to do some backpacking. I'll try to add some stuff.
If anyone's up to do some easy top-roping, let me know. I've just done indoor stuff, and am looking for some people with more experience. I'm kind of a noob in terms of climbing, but if you'd like to help a guy out...

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52 pm

I'm jealous, aedwards. Hiking the Superior Trail?

Did anyone make it to Isle Royale this summer? Always looking for TRs.

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Superior Hiking Trail is the plan. Probably go out from Tettegouche, just do a little camping for a few days.

Never been to Isle Royale, but I'd like to. Hoping to next year.
Anyone know about reservations, etc. ?
Also, my parents have a cabin by the apostle islands, I'm hoping to do some camping out there soon, a few of the islands have trails and campsites. Just have to catch a boat-ride out, don't think I'd fare well in a kayak. :shock:

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Isle Royale--no reservations needed on the island. You fill out a permit with your plans, but you can change them as you go along if you hand the revised itinerary in at the end. (The NPS uses these for data collection.)

Big constraint is boats to the island: they fill up early during the non-mosquito season, especially around Portage Days, which are usually around 15-20 August.

aedwards

by aedwards » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 pm

I'd probably take the ferry out. Probably go a bit earlier in the year, to avoid the busier months, and some of the bugs. Was thinking of trying a thru-hike of the SHT too.

Though I'd not-so-secretly prefer to be out west all summer.
:cry:

kavak

by kavak » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:11 pm

I was there for my first time for an overnight trip on Sept 10 and 11. What a wonderful place to go! Very few mosquitos and not a whole lot of people as well. Saw one park ranger on the trail and then a couple of campers at the Island Mine Campground and that was it until I returned to the loading dock. I hiked to the top of Mt Desor, the island highpoint, which turns out to be a negligible "bump" along the trail. I was impressed with the silhouette of Sleeping Giant to the north in Canada while on the boat ride from Grand Portage, MN to Windigo. I understand it was voted one of the 10 natural wonders of Canada. I would be happy to fill any one in on details although I only hiked a small part of the total trail system due to lack of time.

samh

by samh » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:15 pm

kavak wrote:...I hiked to the top of Mt Desor, the island highpoint, which turns out to be a negligible "bump" along the trail...

Yeah, don't expect any views out of Mt. Desor - - talk about anti-climactic!

dwhike

by dwhike » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:02 am

Added a fall album to the Starved Rock State Park page. Who'd a thought Illinois had a place this cool? If any of you Chicago-ites havn't been yet...GO!! I know I'll be back, maybe in the spring when the falls are running higher.

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)