Where Summit Registers go to die...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 am

Dougb wrote:The cast aluminum cylinders in the High Sierra, well, the fellow that made them passed away a few years ago, so when they are gone, they are gone. Just an FYI.

Actually, it is otherwise. I carried a shiny new one up to a peak a few years ago. I got it from Ron Hudson who got it from Tina Bowman who apparently gets them from some guy who makes and then sells them out of the back of his truck, according to Ron. The only difference I noted is that they don't say "This end up" on the lid, which may lead to a few soggy registers.

1000Pks wrote:
Careful Pete, you're using up your entire 2009 allotment of SC-bashing in this one thread.

Btw, I just read your PnP M rules of engagement and wish to be instructed on how to speak in approved, glowing terms for pure hate, crime, and terror, if that is what is wished. And other instructions on how to post favorably for SP so I don't get banned it seems without notice or hearing.

Hey Pete, I'm just given you a hard time about your denial of making such posts 'even once a week.' And for the record, you've never been banned on this site. You've had some access issues, but I don't think those were on SP's side unless they affected everybody. Climb on.

ScottyS

by ScottyS » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 am

C'mon Pete, you're a special case, right?

Seriously, the summit registers are the closest I've come to meeting most you who get out and about. They need to be left alone by the NPS for that reason alone! :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 am

Dougb wrote:"If registers are not preserved, then the terrorists have already won."

the terrorists have won, imo. :!: But, it's never too late to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! Anyhow, the way I see it, is if there's a register, fine I sign it, if not, then no biggie. Eventually, all of them will be subducted into the lithosphere and disappear.

I'm in favor of launching registers into space, to protect them from a supernova (and subsequent global warming).

I'm also more worried about subduction into the asthenosphere... where the terrorists have free reign...

no avatar
mungeclimber

by mungeclimber » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:03 am

preservation is not appreciated in all things apparently.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:What's my expression right now?

DMT

You'd like to get your water glass refilled?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:52 pm

1000Pks wrote: Being that I used to work with a lot of attorneys and pretty high end people, a subtle near imperceptible twitch or bend of the finger meant action needed to be taken quite precisely. That derived from my also working in a high end restaurant where a simple slight nod of the head had to be caught and water stopped from being poured or similar.

Pete, I was going to add a semi-snide comment last night, but didn't because I figured it would just harden your stance. After seeing the snide (but humorous) additions this morn, I want to try another tack.

From the above, I agree that you have been places where a sense of paranoia is enhanced. I would also agree (from several professional run-ins) that the SC has a bunch of devious bastards at high levels.

But so do most organizations. (Haven't checked the Ba'hais lately.)

And you really aren't swaying peoples' opinions by lacing you comments with MLC SC sniping. Worse, your posts often have some meat, which tends to get ignored as people look for those special initialisms. There are a lot of good SC people, especially where the rubber meets the road, and you are mainly alienating people with less extreme viewpoints.

Now I have to get back to solving the Israeli-Palestinian problem.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Pete is SP's jester. I like the guy, as odd as he can come off.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:25 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I've seen at LLEAST five registers that I suspect were chewed by llamas, or signed by famous llama llovers.

:shock: :mrgreen:

MountainHikerCO

by MountainHikerCO » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 pm

:idea: I think the only solution is to have electronic registers on the top of all summits. Every climber would have to register with a central database. The climber’s implanted radio frequency transmitter would have to come within a few cm of the summit receiver to record in the log. Implanted transmitters would be necessary to prevent cheating and claimed summits by known terrorists. Suspected terrorists would be on the no summit list. :roll:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:37 am

My eyes hurt.

MountainHikerCO

by MountainHikerCO » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:59 am

MoapaPk wrote:My eyes hurt.

Sorry, over on 14ers.com come it was agreed to use pink for sarcasm. I went with that convention.

ScottyS

by ScottyS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 am

cp0915 wrote:Pete is SP's jester. I like the guy, as odd as he can come off.

Jester, who has been to war more than most of the court.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:44 pm

ScottyS wrote:
cp0915 wrote:Pete is SP's jester. I like the guy, as odd as he can come off.

Jester, who has been to war more than most of the court.

As many jesters have.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:56 pm

I try to look sideways, but tend to run into things.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:54 pm

14 years ago
http://www.off-road.com/green/struggle.lat

4 years ago
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1/gree.DTL

Eventually, self-propagation consumes most organized groups.

PreviousNext

Return to California