Food Costs in Chile

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Mountaindude25

Food Costs in Chile

by Mountaindude25 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:44 am

I'm planing a expedition to Ojos Del Salado and maybe some other peaks. (Which I'm looking for partners in March) I was wondering about the cost of food and what's available in Chile and Argentina. I'll be buying certain things before I go. I'm just wondering about day to day?

DoJo

Re: Food Costs in Chile

by DoJo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Mountaindude25 wrote:I'm planing a expedition to Ojos Del Salado and maybe some other peaks. (Which I'm looking for partners in March) I was wondering about the cost of food and what's available in Chile and Argentina. I'll be buying certain things before I go. I'm just wondering about day to day?

I didnot see any lightweight expedition food in Santiago (but I didn't look for it - I would ask in some of the mountaineering shops in Santiago first).
But you usually get good food (dried soups, canned food, mashed potatoes, dried milk etc.) in the bigger supermarkets.
Argentina + Chile are the most expensive countries in South America, the food is usually cheaper than in Europe

no avatar
pbakwin

by pbakwin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Also note that you have to be careful about bringing food into Chile.
Agriculture is a huge industry there, and they are careful about imports.
At least declare whatever you have to avoid a fine. At the Santiago airport
I observed numerous people getting caught with undeclared snacks and
having to pay. If you declare, they may confiscate your food but you
avoid the fine.
PB

Return to South America