Munich area

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Look up Zugspitze. It might be too much though... .

Charles

by Charles » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Yes April is a bit early for a walk. Non the less Wilder Kaiser has some lower stuff and some pleasant winter walking. There is also the pre-alps Tegernsee for example.

Lukas Kunze

by Lukas Kunze » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:47 pm

There are some fine mountains around Garmisch Partenkrichen, Scharnitz and Ehrwald which make pretty fun to climb in spring (Wank, Daniel, Ettaler Manndl/Schartenkopf, Teufelstättkopf, Pleisenspitze, Kramerspitze, Heimgarten/Herzogstand ... just to give you a few ideas). Some of those mountains have pages here on summitpost.
At that time of year there is normally still a lot of snow above 2500m. Since it is snowing in Munich right now, I guess it is a "normal" winter...
Cheers Lukas

Charles

by Charles » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 am

Lukas Kunze wrote:There are some fine mountains around Garmisch Partenkrichen, Scharnitz and Ehrwald which make pretty fun to climb in spring (Wank, Daniel, Ettaler Manndl/Schartenkopf, Teufelstättkopf, Pleisenspitze, Kramerspitze, Heimgarten/Herzogstand ... just to give you a few ideas). Some of those mountains have pages here on summitpost.
At that time of year there is normally still a lot of snow above 2500m. Since it is snowing in Munich right now, I guess it is a "normal" winter...
Cheers Lukas

True - lets hope the winter weather keeps up!
There is always the possibility to hire snow shoes and pieps and,snow permitting, go off into placed like Rofan, Kitzbühler Alps

mvs

by mvs » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 pm

I tried to snowshoe up Kramerspitze this morning. Waist deep snow above the St. Martin huette. I made it beyond that little metal balcony overlooking the town (Felskanzlei?), and was just too slow to reach the summit. There is a LOT of snow up there right now! :D

Lukas Kunze

by Lukas Kunze » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:09 pm

mvs wrote:I tried to snowshoe up Kramerspitze this morning. Waist deep snow above the St. Martin huette. I made it beyond that little metal balcony overlooking the town (Felskanzlei?), and was just too slow to reach the summit. There is a LOT of snow up there right now! :D

WOW! Waist deep snow at Felskanzel... !!! :shock: The last time I was in the mountains early February, I raced up to Kolbensattel for a short ski run after work and there wasn' t much snow at Oberammergau at all. There must have fallen more snow than I expected... Let' s hope this helps the glaciers to survive some more years...

Return to Europe