Triglav February advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
AKM

Triglav February advice

by AKM » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:31 am

Hi,

Is there anyone who has climbed Triglav in February before who doesn't mind having a chat about it? I was just wondering if snow shoes would be reccomended for this time of year (can't ski!) and would also like some advice on routes from the Krma valley. I tried to climb before a few years back in March/April from a different approach but the snow was too deep. Basically any advice on routes and suggested climbing kit would be much appreciated. I've had a few seasons alpine experience but am still very much a beginner!!

Thanks.

Vid Pogachnik
Forum Moderator

by Vid Pogachnik » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:08 am

Borut said it well - provided that there is a beaten track up to Kredarica. Just after a snowfall take snowshoes. Ice pick and crampons are a must and also belaying on the summit ascent is recommended.

AKM

by AKM » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it and maybe ask you next month too? I'm flying to Slovenia on Feb 27th and probably looking at routes a day or two after that.

AKM

by AKM » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Borut,

I want to climb Triglav from eastern approach (Krma valley) but it depends on conditions. I'm going to be flexible with my plans.

AKM

by AKM » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Just after an update if you don't mind?

Are the climbing conditions looking stable on Triglav at the moment?
Also, is there anywhere that we can rent snow shoes from in the area if we need them last minute?

Thanks again for all your help!!

- Adam

AKM

by AKM » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Borut

We're flying to Ljubljana Friday 27th Feb, then heading up to the Krma valley the day after (probably staying in Kranjska Gora). We shall look at starting the east route to Triglav on Sunday 1st March depending on the weather. (We fly back to the UK on Sunday 5th March so there's plenty of time). I had a look online for places renting snow shoes in Ljubljana but couldn't find any, might just have a look when I get there as I need to buy some gas for the cooker as well.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm sure we probably owe you a drink by now!

- Adam

Return to Europe