7 days in the alps (solo)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mvs

by mvs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:MVS i've seen you did the "non-glacier-haute-route" Zermatt-Chamonix
I was thinking about doing something like that ...

Hi sjarelkwint,

Yes indeed, that was a really fun trip! At that time, I wasn't searching to climb peaks along the way, though I think that would be fun and productive. It would be one of the nicer ways to spend a week in the alps, for sure! Since I'm obsessing about risk and cell phones here in your thread I'll mention that going from Zermatt to Chamonix is the better way to find solitude, of which I had lots and lots. PM for any specifics and maybe you saw the trip report on my home page (see year 2006).

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:12 pm

mvs wrote:Understood. My comment about risk is more in response to the original poster's declaration that he wants (very emphatically) not to risk his life. Not in response to your pointing out that you can take a cell phone. But while I'm here I'll talk about that too...

I'm just not a big fan of cell phones in the mountains. They have their use, and yes, if I had a broken leg I would really, really want one. When I do bring one, it's turned off, in the bottom of the pack and would only get turned on if I'm helpless in a life or death situation. I know a few climbers that walked out / abseiled down with broken arms, and I admire their example. Additionally, I have seen cell phones used in ways I think are lazy and that provided only confusion to would-be rescuers in the valley. The mountains become much smaller when the phone is right there, ringing, you are talking, etc. I guess I like thinking of a phone as something like the "rescue beacon" you mention above: activated only in dire need.

I want to enter the mountains like entering a special, magical place where older rules apply. I believe there is a culture of mountaineering, and this attitude should be part of it. So I put it out there, recognizing it's an increasingly "Luddite" point of view.

But this is hijacking the OP's thread. I'll pipe down about such things.

Ok, I can see that. Then we're on the same page. My cell phone is always turned off as well when I'm in the mountains. I really only use it as my alarm clock when I'm going on an overnighter :D . I'm indeed only referring to it as an emergency device; people talking on their phones is highly annoying in the backcountry; luckily you hardly ever have reception here.

Previous

Return to Europe