??????? ?????????? sexy wallpapers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:53 am

It's going to depend on the start of the snow season.
In early June it could be a simple walk.

If the snow arrives, it will be new, soft snow. An XC ski trip from either Charlotte Pass or the top of the Quad Chair at Thredbo..

Ozclimb

Kozi

by Ozclimb » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Im doing it towards the end of July! its gonna be great but will spending 2-3 days on Kozi to do it :D

Anyone Interested, get in touch!

cheers,
Andy

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:36 am

http://www.thredbo.com.au/weather-and-c ... e-cams.asp

Check the conditions before you go. A couple of days can make a big difference. It's often quite windy up high (above 1600m) but the main danger is getting lost in bad weather in all that flat terrain. Take a GPS that you've practiced using. Winds around genuine 40 knots (70 km/h) are not uncommon, even if it's sunny, though the people at their desks down in the resort have no clue about anything beyond the chairlifts.

In good weather it's an easy trip. I usually do it once or twice each winter, either on snowshoes or skis. Allow a couple of hours each way to enjoy the scenery. It's just walking, no climbing, but the middle section can get quite hard and icy, scoured by winds - slippery to walk on sometimes.

Note that if you don't have a 4WD then you need to hire chains in Jindabyne - the police set up roadblocks to check and fine those without them. Chains + Nat Park entry + chairlift(!) + breakfast pies & coffee = $100 to climb Kozi. And that's in addition to getting to Jindabyne, accomodation, pizza, beer and 2am rum shouts at the Brumby Bar.

D

muli82

by muli82 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:41 pm

I went last weekend and going up the summit snowshoes would of helmet alot, parts of the track was covered in snow. I hired apres boots from thredbo village for $5 per day but the lady said they are like 4 times as much in the winter. I know snowbiz in brisbane sell the same apres boots for $49.
took about 2.5hrs from the chairlifts return with plus 400 photos.
Got photos photos on facebook if you want to seem them

Ozclimb wrote:Im doing it towards the end of July! its gonna be great but will spending 2-3 days on Kozi to do it :D

Anyone Interested, get in touch!

cheers,
Andy

mate definately interested. Whats your itinery like :D

radson

by radson » Mon May 11, 2009 6:08 pm

I will be in Sydney in early June and keen on a bold attempt of Kossie.

Ozclimb

Kozi

by Ozclimb » Tue May 12, 2009 5:41 am

Hey there, going up with 3 guys from work.....its a bit of a practice hike for my Elbrus trip in August really....not that they compare!!!

Driving up there Wed 29/07/09 and start hiking up same day from the car park near the golf course (i think!, its about 3-5 mins before getting into village) then set up a camp somewhere above the highest chairlift and stay overnight. Get up next day then head for summit early(ish) and either head back to the car park or set up camp again and overnight, then head to car park next morning.

So either two or three days depending on how we feel. Our tents will be full (x2 two man tents for 4 of us) so you will need to bring one for yourself. PM me if you're interested!

Cheers
Andy :D

Ozclimb

Kozi

by Ozclimb » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:09 pm

Anyone know a good place to set up camp on Kozi somewhere above the chairlifts? If you do, please PM me with full detailed description so I can find it on my map :)

cheers
Andy

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:23 am

It sounds like you mean to go via the Thredbo quad chair, in which case there are some shelter rocks uphill to your left as you head towards K. Pretty sure you could find a good spot there.

There's an emergency shelter below Lake Cootapatamba but these are not attractive places - only good for emergencies.

As far as I know, Seaman's Hut is still there but I didn't actually go and look last time I was there (January 09) It's on the road heading back towards Charlotte Pass from Rawsons pass. Only about about 2K from the summit. Used to have a pot-belly stove! :D

Lake Albina (along the main range walk from Charlotte Pass) also has an emergency shelter but as a camping spot, I dunno - could get pretty windy I reckon.

Years ago there was also a shelter on the main range walk just below the summit of Mt Carruthers, but I dunno if it's still there. It was pretty grotty anyway - kind of a cellar under a weather station.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:32 pm

I was on top of Kozi yesterday, in beautiful weather, very sunny with a light breeze.

Friday was very windy and monster clouds covering all the high peaks so did not continue from Thredbo to Blue Lake as planned. Camped near Seamans Hut, very blowy night. Seamans is in good condition but you are not allowed to sleep there - emergency use only.

On Saturday another eight or so people were on Kozi over the course of a few hours after lunch, and there was similarly half a dozen or so in the area on Friday, that we saw.

Backcountry snow cover is good but not really heavy, some areas are noticeably bare, and some of the steel walkway is showing through, we noticed on the way down. We did not use the chairlift down but bushbashed in deep snow angling down left coming out at Friday Flat, just for an interesting end to the trip.

Plenty of places to camp up high, just stay out of the lake catchments and be out of the wind. Or sleep in your car in the parking lot at Thredbo and do it as an easy day trip!

D

Ozclimb

Kozi

by Ozclimb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:40 pm

I know you were up there mate! small world.....hahahaha hows Jan. she was meant to txt me with a weather report:-)

I am gonna bother you with my Aconcagua plans one day mate :lol:

thanks for the advice mate.

Cheers,
Andy

Ozclimb

Kozi

by Ozclimb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Hello all, back from an unsuccessful winter attempt at the summit........hiked along the Dead Horse gap walking track(which was under 4ft of snow). After about four hours of hiking we got pinned down by a real nasty storm and the temp dropped rapidly.

Had to set up camp and barely slept as the wind was deafening. Got up the next morning relatively early, packed up and got the hell out of there, as the weather was still terrible. As always, upon getting down off the mountain and into Thredbo village, the sun decided to show itself :x

gonna try again in 2010

cheers,
Andy :D

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands