Grossglockner with a tent

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
jck

by jck » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:48 pm

People used to pitch a tent just in front of Stuedlhut. I don't konow whether it's legal or not. Some platforms are also above the hut while going into the direction of Stuedlgrat/Teischitzkees.

P. Vis

by P. Vis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Why should you avoid the stuedlhut, its very good staying there and the food is very nice en its not expensive.

I love to do a bivy at the foot of a mountain but for the Stuedlridge we took the hut (i don't why anymore)

But anyway, not far from the hut seen from the main-entrance, climbers where biviïng there.

Man, we had a delicious diner and breakfast there that time, one of the nicest huts i have ever stayed in.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:18 am

If you want to avoid the huts simply get up early and do it in a daytrip -- acc. to the SP page of grossglockner that should be doable. Lots of the major peaks in the alps have similar or even longer normal ascents from the hut (!).

Martin

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 am

I think I might have driven him away from using the hut. I spend two nights in it two weeks ago. Didn't sleep at all. Too damn noisy. Apart from that it's not really cheap.

However, meanwhile I'd like his tent to go and climb Elbrus. So erm... the food is really nice! And the girls that work there make up for all the rest!

WouterB

by WouterB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:52 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Chances are big I wouldn't take mine ...

But I don't wanne sleep in a hut ...

Can't do it in one day. I wanne do the stuedlgrat ...

I've got a great tarp I might consider lending to you :lol:

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:03 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Can't do it in one day. I wanne do the stuedlgrat ...

Havn't done it, just according to the topo it seems quite feasible... i guess most of the climbers start from luckner- or stuedlhuette, but the ascent from the valley (parking/trailhead) to the hut just adds 2h.

Carrying bivi equipment and food/Kitchen adds lots more I suppose.

As fas as acclimatisation is concerned it doesn't help much to sleep as high as possible right before the summit day :shock: that should be done the days before...

Martin

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:45 am

Why have you changed your opinion :?: Firstly you were going to attempt Mont Blanc

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:35 pm

3800m? No acclimatization needed :D

How high is the parking lot? Maybe you can put up a comfy tent there and then day hike/climb it?

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 am

Luciano136 wrote:3800m? No acclimatization needed :D

How high is the parking lot? Maybe you can put up a comfy tent there and then day hike/climb it?

Parking is at 1800m, but I guess in summer you could get up a bit higher with the car. Not sure if you are allowed to do so. And VERY sure the Corsa wouldn't be able to do that.

Hike up to Stuedl is about 2 hours if you're fit. Hike up to start of Stuedlgrad should take another 2+ hours if you're fit. Don't know about Stuedlgrad itself, but if you get up early it's possible to do it all in one day.

But as I said, you might want to check out the girls in the Stuedlhütte :wink:

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Day one: Go up in the direction of the stuedlhutte
Day two: Go up the normal route
Day three: Stuedlgrat
Day 4: home

Here is how I would do it:

Day one: Go to the Stuedlhutte, have a beer, enjoy the women
Day two: Get up early to climb normal route, go back to Stuedlhutte, have lunch a beer and enjoy the women. After lunch, do the Stuedlgrat
Day three: Guess what?
Day 4: home

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Wouter's plan sounds terrific :D (especially the women part LOL)

Yeah, 1800m to 3800m in a day is doable but a bit much. Should be perfect in two days though.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Luciano136 wrote:Wouter's plan sounds terrific :D (especially the women part LOL)

I'll try that in Zurich :wink:

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:10 pm

WouterB wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:Wouter's plan sounds terrific :D (especially the women part LOL)

I'll try that in Zurich :wink:

LMAO You should :D

selinunte01

by selinunte01 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 am

Well folks, the time required for Stüdlgrat depends on:

1. the general conditions on the arete, wether there is snow or not, wether you have to climb with crampons or not etc.

2. your aptitude and efficiency to master an high alpine arete with mixed rock and snow / ice up to UIAA grade III with all the rappeling work

3. the amount and the aptitude / efficiency of the climbers in front of you and consequently the time you have to wait until the parties in front of you move on.

Stüdlgrat is a great route !!!! :D :D :D

Stüdlhütte is a great mountain hut. :D :D :D
I don´t know what you folks are talking about "not cheap" or "too expensive" or whatever. Nearly no hut keeper can make a living out of his hut. It is open only a short period in the year. There are sufficient guests only in the good weather periods. It is a remote, high alpine place where the hut is erected. You have high transportation costs for everything. You have high costs for supply. You have high maintenance costs. You have high costs for sewerage, energy and waste.

Nearly every mountain hut is a loss-making business. And all those families running a mountain hut as a sort of side job are highly engaged people to do so. They keep the huts and their surroundings in a good shape. And normally they are involved in rescuing people if an emergency occurs.

It´s the people and not the hut who are noisy and egoistic and do not respect that there are other people who want to sleep. So tell those people to shut up instead of avoiding huts.

I don´t mean that harshly but in my opinion you should think about that, too!

Cheers and good luck on the Stüdlgrat, Michael

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:49 am

You are absolutely right that everyting considered the huts are cheap. BUT if you compare it to camping, it's expensive.

All the rest, I agree.

Next

Return to Europe