Glacier NP - where to stay?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Andinistaloco

Glacier NP - where to stay?

by Andinistaloco » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 am

Hey folks -

Going to be climbing in Glacier in a week or so and was wondering where to crash. I'm not the type who has to stay in a hotel or motel or public campground... I'm more the type who parks outside the park and crashes in the vehicle. That being said, what would you folks who've been there before recommend? West entrance? East? Is it even possible to crash in a vehicle within the park?

Appreciate it!

pyerger

national forest

by pyerger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Any place outside of the park on the west side, or south side , You will encounter, either national forest, or wilderness Drive up hungry horse res. on the west side of the park, by Apgar entrance, and you will find miles of dirt road, with pullouts. I don't think you can pull off in the park, and camp?

What are you planning to climb?
Cheers Peter

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Since you mentioned east-side peaks to me, I have to tell you there's not much on the east side that suits your plans. Most of the land is either private property or on the Indian reservation. However, you might like Cut Bank campground, which is very small and has a remote feel, or Two Medicine Campground, which is not small but is away from the bustle of the main roads and has a little store nearby.

By the way, I'll send you a PM about the peak plans today or tomorrow.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks for the advice - figured I'd probably have to get out of the park to camp... no biggie, I suppose. Bob, got the pm, I'll get back to you asap. Let's see, for the record I'm thinking of Reynolds, Bearhat, Flinsch, Rising Wolf, Bishop's cap/pollock/piegan, st. Nick if I can find a partner... that ought to fill the few days nicely.

EarMountain

by EarMountain » Thu May 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Andinistaloco wrote:...I'm thinking of Reynolds, Bearhat, Flinsch, Rising Wolf, Bishop's cap/pollock/piegan, st. Nick if I can find a partner... that ought to fill the few days nicely.

Just curious, how many of these did you summit?

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)