New Zealand in March?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Anna Purna

New Zealand in March?

by Anna Purna » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:20 am

I'm looking for a great tramping experience in New Zealand during the second week of March. I have about 4 or 5 days time to do it and would love to see some gorgeous fjords, scenery etc. Does anyone have any routes they would suggest? Is anyone interested in going? If not, do you know a good tramping outfit over there?
Thanks!

ktnbs

Re: New Zealand in March?

by ktnbs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:45 am

Well, the usual search on the web, right? that would come up with a wealth of possibilities...but you probably want to cut to the chase a little more.

You might google for Wildwalks....a good outfit run by an American expat out of Wanaka. At the least they have a very informative website.

Rick B

by Rick B » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:03 am

Check the <a href="http://www.doc.govt.nz/Explore/002%7ETracks-and-Walks/index.asp">DOC website</a>, and especially their "Great Walks".

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:53 pm

<a href=http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/2820>Kepler Track</a> isn't a bad one.

hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:24 pm

The Kepler, Routeburn, or Milford tracks are all great choices - but you need to get your hut bookings fast if you want to do one of the "great walks"! Visit the DOC website that Rick B posted a link to for availability. We'll be doing the Routeburn the second week of March - maybe see you there!

If you want to get off the breaten track, check out any of the local tour operators for an organized tramping experience - I'd recommend Aspiring Guides:
http://www.aspiringguides.com/trekking.htm)

Have fun!
Howie

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:02 pm

The Rees-Dart track (3-4 days) is as good as Routeburn or Kepler, at a fraction of the cost and with fewer people (I've done all 3). The huts on the Great Walks are $40 per night, versus $10 for Category 2 huts on other tracks. And you don't have the booking issues that you'll find on the Great Walks. Don't bother with a tramping outfit. For Rees-Dart, just go to Queenstown, then to Glenorchy, register at DOC, take the shuttle to the trailhead, and start walking. You don't need any advanced booking. Another really nice one is Wilkin-Young. If you want to do a Great Walk, book the huts now on the DOC website. Then just show up and do it. It's all very straightforward.

Cody

by Cody » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:16 am

I'll second Tom's suggestion of the Rees-Dart. While on it, you can also take a side trip over to Aspiring hut as well. I work near Glenorchy, so I'm pretty familiar with the general area. I was up for a short day hike on the Routeburn the other day and it was a complete zoo, people everywhere! Not the sort of experience I would look for when coming to NZ. Though I imagine it might be a bit more mellow come March. The whole area in the north of Lake Wakatipu is quite spectacular as a whole and worth a visit. I stopped by in the beginning of December an never left.

Anna Purna

by Anna Purna » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:12 pm

Thanks alot guys! Really helpful advice!

no avatar
RobF

by RobF » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:51 am

I agree with Tom and Cody, Rees-Dart is a great walk. I did it one February and there were very few other people around. The tramp is detailed in the Lonely Planet book recommend by John.

herbie

by herbie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:41 pm

Anna,
here is a view of a non-Newzealander, who likes the country and people a lot:

For me the Kepler-Track is not very impressive. Possibly because it leads through a landscape we also have here in Austria.
I had the impression, they created it to relieve some stress from the Milford track.

The Milford track is impressive, but rather crowded, but maybe in March it's already easier, I don't know. Normally you have to book it for months in advance to get a slot. Unfortunately the sandflies don't need to book it, they are just there.

As John already mentioned, the Tongariro northern circuit is fantastic, we liked the volcanic landscape, and I can really recommend it.

We also liked the Abel Tasman track very much, but we have been there at begin of december, when it was not so crowded.
Possibly for a Californian a coast track like that is not so interesting, I don't know, but we enjoyed it a lot.

For the above mentioned Copland track bring an ice axe and crampons, and don't do it alone. If you really have only one week, I wouldn't do it, because of several reasons.

The west coast glaciers didn't impress me much, possibly also because glaciers are a common thing in Austria, but mainly because of the tourist crowds and the business around them.

The southern part of the west coast is a very lonesome area, especially if you leave the Doubtful sound behind. But to really enjoy it, you would also need more than a week time.

We also liked the area around Wanaka, there are great short hikes, and the lake is fantastic and also the view to Mount Aspiring (e.g. from Mount Roy, which is an easy day hike).
Wanaka is not so crowded like Queenstown, which is also a nice place, but to many "rubbing shoulders".

If you drive towards the Milford sound from Queenstown, there are some really nice day- or 2-day-hikes on the way, which are not so well known and therefore less crowded. Just buy a good map and look into it, and explore valleys without tracks or trails.

But now I must come to an end, otherwise I cancel my job immediately, buy a ticket and spend another 3 months in this nice country. :-)

Rick B

by Rick B » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:59 am

Nicely summed up herbie! I agree with you.. it's hard to resist buying a ticket :-) Some additions to your post:

<i>As John already mentioned, the Tongariro northern circuit is fantastic, we liked the volcanic landscape, and I can really recommend it. </i>

Be careful with the weather though. This is a bit more high risk if you have only one week. The weather can be very bad here, and it often is, and the problem is that with rain and low clouds you won't see much. You'd better do the Tongariro when you have more time to spend, you can then wait for a weather window.

<i>The west coast glaciers didn't impress me much, possibly also because glaciers are a common thing in Austria, but mainly because of the tourist crowds and the business around them. </i>

So true! Plus on the west coast it seems like there is perpetual rain ...

<i>We also liked the area around Wanaka, there are great short hikes, and the lake is fantastic and also the view to Mount Aspiring (e.g. from Mount Roy, which is an easy day hike). </i>

<a href="http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/6317">Roys Peak page</a>

herbie

by herbie » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:26 pm

<a href="http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/6317"><i>Roys Peak page</i></a>

Hey, it's here at SP! Cool, thanks for pointing it out!
(Looks like I must check the news more often here).

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:36 am

Another possibility from the Rees-Dart track is to ascend Mt Earnslaw at least as far as Kea Basin or perhaps Wright Col. Dammit, you could even go for the summit of East Peak if you're feeling fit. It would take about four days return from the Rees valley Carpark.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Anna Purna

by Anna Purna » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:58 am

Thanks guys - this is most helpful!

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands