Adirondacks / water approach

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Ario

Adirondacks / water approach

by Ario » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 am

When approaching a mountain in the Adirondacks on water, what SPers would advise to do with the canoe / kayak once the water part is finished and we hit the trail? We would still have about 1 mile / + 700' to hike before reaching the summit cliff...

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Don't know 'bout the 'Dacks, but here's what's done in the Whites:

But seriously, I'd carry it inland a few hundred feet and hide it in the woods. The portage not only gives you better hiding places away from the water, it discourages other people from taking the canoe if they find it by following your tracks. Hide the paddles in a separate spot.

no avatar
MattGreene

by MattGreene » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:42 pm

I always just pull my canoe far enough into the woods so there's enough room for any other paddlers who come along to also bring their boats onto land. If theft is your concern, I'd just bring a lock.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Just put it on the side, out of the way. unless it is close to civilization.

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:49 am

MattGreene wrote:I always just pull my canoe far enough into the woods so there's enough room for any other paddlers who come along to also bring their boats onto land. If theft is your concern, I'd just bring a lock.

To be absolutely sure, better just take it with you.

Seriously, though...why would anyone steal it? There isn't much of a black market for canoes, or at least not that I know of. I left one at the base of Rogers Rock for a few hours, and one at the base of Mount Moran in the Tetons for over a day. Who's going to bother it?

Ario

by Ario » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:21 am

Thank you guys !

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:56 pm

No one is going to steal it. Don't worry. Leave a note if your worried about it.

Boy, I sure could use a new canoe..... Say....where did you say you were you going again?! :twisted:

Seriously, though, my experience has been that there is very little traffic through the "canoe only" lakes back there. You may have a beaver knawing at your paddles though!

redcell6613

by redcell6613 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:50 pm

I have left canoes, whitewater kayaks, flatwater kayaks on trails in the daks and have never had any type of problems. People up there are all outdoor based and have good respect for other people's gear. Good idea to have your serial number off your boat written down though in the event something does happen to it, it can be reported stolen and cannot be entered into a national database by police without a serial number to reference it to. Chances of it popping back up are pretty good......I'm from NJ so I get paranoid.....If it can be moved it gets stolen in NJ.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)