climbing vs. hiking

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
mconnell wrote:
squishy wrote:
MarthaP wrote:
squishy wrote:I have trouble explaining my trips now...Well we slept on the side of the road in the dirt, got up early and had a world class breakfast at a gas station then climbed a mountain via class 2.4r...most people would stare at me and wonder what kind of retardation I had...because everyone knows you can't get a world class breakfast at a gas station...duh....

Hot dogs 2/$1 slathered in yellow mustard are pretty world class to me. Add some relish and you have your four basic food groups. :wink:

Actually this is the menu at the gas station I was speaking about...I recommend the Lobster Taquitos with some mango margaritas...in the morning they will even put some whisky in your coffee...

Tioga Toomey’s House Favorites

World Famous Fish Tacos
One with ginger coleslaw, one with mango/pineapple/plum salsa
Served with Brazilian black beans

Signature Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap
Tons of flavor wrapped in a chipotle tortilla

Grilled Salmon Salad
Served on a bed of baby lettuce with mountain honey/wild berry vinaigrette dressing

Wild Buffalo Meatloaf
Extra lean, prepared cowboy style with port wine au jus, garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Kansas City Steak Caesar Salad
Marinated skirt steak on our tangy caesar salad

Rajin’ Cajun Chicken Jambalaya
Served with fresh bread, it’s a meal in itself, not to spicy

Legendary Lobster Taquitos
Three taquitos served on a bed of Brazilian black beans topped with tomatillo pineapple salsa and fresh salsa

Herb Crusted Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Served with apricot wild berry glaze, garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

St. Louis Style Baby Back Ribs
Served with our own huckleberry BBQ sauce, garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Pizza
World Famous BBQ Chicken with cilantro pesto
Grilled Veggie with pesto
Southwest Black Bean Chicken

http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/

Never figured out the facination with that place. It's a gas station, complete with gas station quality food.

+1, except that gas station food is really expensive. I was underwhelmed by their 'famous' fish tacos. I make better ones, for less.

Hey their descriptions of the menu items are outrageous, why shouldn't their prices be?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Cerberus is Charon's dog, everybody knows that.

(Not strictly accurate, but necessary for continuity.)

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 pm

taxinvestor wrote:Ha, yes I suppose it is. Perhaps it is fair to add another variable - Approach (A) - which may be subtracted from (T) in case your goal is a summit or wall and miles of trail are in your way. In the case of Grand Teton A=4 hours (Lupine Meadows to Surprise Lake)?

:D

I started at Lupine Meadows. My hike up to the Lower Saddle took a ridiculous amount of time because I was really, really sick. I had the flu . . . or bronchitis . . . or Ebola, basically some hideous upper and lower respiratory plague that made me feel near death. No way was I going to bail on that trip, though, after seeing that mountain year after year as a child and finally having a chance to climb it as an adult.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:51 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Cerberus is Charon's dog

Awesome canyon in Death Valley too!

http://www.rickkent.net/ViewerPlus/viewer.aspx?FolderID=679

RickF

by RickF » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:42 am

Buz Groshong wrote:
Lolli wrote:
justing wrote:Something I've always wondered...what the hell is trekking and how does it differ from hiking? To me it sounds like the name for hiking to hikers who want to sound like they're doing something cooler than hiking. At least they know they're not climbing I guess.

Trek = British English
Hike = American English

same thing.

Wait a minute; you left out one:

Trek = British English
Hike = American English
Tramp = Australian or NZ English

There's one more:

Slog = American dirt-bag climber

(A slog is a hike with a big suffering component)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:32 am

Nope, I think you might have entirely missed the point - of the ice axe.

This whole sack of potatoes is about hardcore "climbers" vs. Nature Nuts.

Don't get me wrong, I like granola bars and sunflower seeds just as much as the next guy.

I don't believe in using stinking trekking poles, when my hands and legs work just fine!

For crying out loud. We're all on the miserable planet together, so let's try to get along !

8)

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:47 am

lcarreau wrote:I don't believe in using stinking trekking poles, when my hands and legs work just fine!

I haven't used any yet but now, my poor spine refusing to carry more than 10-11 kilos, I'm thinking of buying some since they're supposed to take away up to a quarter of the burden.

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:17 am

yatsek wrote:I think the HIKER prefers walking outdoors to indoor/gym climbing, unlike the CLIMBER.

Still looking forward to hearing from some who call themselves H or C.

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:12 am

justing wrote:Something I've always wondered...what the hell is trekking and how does it differ from hiking? To me it sounds like the name for hiking to hikers who want to sound like they're doing something cooler than hiking. At least they know they're not climbing I guess.

I guess trekking is backpacking, as opposed to day hikes (American hikes).

I wonder what native speakers of (any) English mean by "mountaineering" though. Mixed climbing?
Last edited by yatsek on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:19 pm

yatsek wrote: I wonder what native speakers of (any) English mean by "mountaineering" though. Mixed climbing?

For us, in France, "mountaineering" is "alpinisme", mixed or not climbing (rock, snow and/or ice). :wink:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:33 pm

"Mountaineering" is considered going off the beaten track, and CLIMBING any mountain
above 7,000 feet. It's usually when you have to "scramble" over rocks or permanent
icefields.

(In the desert, you can't remember your name... because you have to tiptoe over
scorpions and rattlesnakes.)

:wink:

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:37 pm

lcarreau wrote:(In the desert, you can't remember your name... because you have to tiptoe over
scorpions and rattlesnakes.) :wink:
:mrgreen:

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:53 pm

So:
US mountaineering = EU alpinism
Generally climbing above the snow line?

yatsek wrote:I think the HIKER prefers walking outdoors to indoor/gym climbing, unlike the CLIMBER.

Still looking forward to hearing from some who call themselves H or C.
:wink:

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:
yatsek wrote: I wonder what native speakers of (any) English mean by "mountaineering" though. Mixed climbing?

For us, in France, "mountaineering" is "alpinisme", mixed or not climbing (rock, snow and/or ice). :wink:

According to Wikipedia:

"Mountaineering is the sport, hobby or profession of walking, hiking, backpacking and climbing mountains. In Europe it is also referred to as alpinism, while in the Americas the term refers to a particular style of mountain climbing, which involves a mixture of ice climbing, rock climbing, mixed climbing, and where the climbers carry all their loads with them at all times."

Does this apply here?

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:According to Wikipedia:"Mountaineering is the sport, hobby or profession of walking, hiking, backpacking and climbing mountains. In Europe it is also referred to as alpinism, while in the Americas the term refers to a particular style of mountain climbing, which involves a mixture of ice climbing, rock climbing, mixed climbing, and where the climbers carry all their loads with them at all times."

Does this apply here?

Well, over here, in Poland, "alpinism" is definitely not used as a synonym for hiking/backpacking/climbing in the mts lower than the Alps/without glaciers. Some may apply the term to winter climbing in the Tatras, our highest.

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander