Climbing Mt. Whitney in the winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
gina

Ditto! That video was too much fun

by gina » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:06 am

travelin_light wrote:The only thing that will prevent you from sending will be the conditions. Wait it out and let them work in your favor. Avoid going after a dump or you will spend most of your time getting to the route plus you will have some avy conditions to contend with here and there (would not worry too much about this, but be smart). Snowshoes are probably best depending on the amount of snow. I went back there in skis once and I wish I had bought snowshoes for several reasons I will not go into.

4wd will definitely be an advantage. It is likely that you may make it very close if not all the way to the portal. Do not kill your self trying to make it to Ice Berg either. Anywhere above Upper Boy Scout should give you plenty of time to summit. Let me know if I can offer any advice. Here is a video that you might enjoy from my trip back there last winter. You can do it!

http://pullharder.org/2009/01/21/first- ... east-face/

That was great! I still have a big smile on my face.
travelin_light, your day job must be as an editor -- it was that good!

Previous

Return to California