TR Nominations for the Front Page

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Some great ideas on here !

The "audio TR's" reminds me of something I saw at the Grand Canyon.
I came across some reloadable MP3 files known as the AUDIO RANGER, put out by the
Grand Canyon Association.

It gives you a virtual tour of the trails, landmarks, history, etc.

In the distant future, will we even need interpretive rangers? Suppose somebody will
still be needed to maintain the restroom facilities and pick up trash.

An audio interpretation of TR's would be a breath of fresh air !!!

rpc

by rpc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:
rpc wrote:...maybe putting up one of Brutus' great TR's (even if they're "older") would be appropriate this week? maybe his closest friends here on SP could pick one?

I'll change them on Sunday - just send me a PM with the report you'd propose or post it here like John did

I think you should ask DMT, The Chief, or Dave D. ....if it should be done & if so, which one.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 pm

rpc wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:
rpc wrote:...maybe putting up one of Brutus' great TR's (even if they're "older") would be appropriate this week? maybe his closest friends here on SP could pick one?

I'll change them on Sunday - just send me a PM with the report you'd propose or post it here like John did

I think you should ask DMT, The Chief, or Dave D. ....if it should be done & if so, which one.

I'm in contact with Dingus ...

JasonH

by JasonH » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:49 am

JasonH wrote:Not a TR, but I think this should be on the front page.

http://www.summitpost.org/article/522706/-one-climb-one-pitch-one-move-at-a-time.html

Yeah we worked hard to get it there in time - one wonderful tribute!

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 pm

Not sure you're supposed to point to your own TR, but just in case: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... sgrat.html

rpc

by rpc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:55 pm

nattfodd wrote:Not sure you're supposed to point to your own TR

sure you know! but it doesn't matter...such things are done routinely by others in the "What's New In XYZ" posts :lol: :lol: :lol:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:28 am

nattfodd wrote:Not sure you're supposed to point to your own TR, but just in case...

I think I should be nominated for SOMETHING, for crying out loud!

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:09 pm

I'll do this again, I have spent too much time and effort to see this forgotten in the depths of the site: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... dream.html

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:37 pm

nattfodd wrote:I'll do this again, I have spent too much time and effort to see this forgotten in the depths of the site: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... dream.html

Ah, dear friend, you're a victim of that well-documented SP syndrome known as "out-of-what's-new, out of mind".

It happens to all of us, especially with TR's since there's only 10 of them at a time. In summer, when everyone's out there givin' it, you might only have a matter of hours before your hard work is despatched into anonymity as everyone gets home and posts their adventures.

It's frustrating perhaps, but who's to say what's more important to the individual: swatting blackflies on some nondescript hill in the Ozarks or a realising a childhood dream to climb Mont Blanc. Some - less charitable than me - might argue that, since you took a lift and were served meals in a hut, your trip had less worth than a fully self-contained climb of a lesser mountain than Mont Blanc. It all depends on your point of view.

Self promoting won't help. That's tantamount to vote-begging. You'll have DMT and others down on you like a ton of bricks for a crime like that.

Altruism is the key. Submit your work for the good of others and your own satisfaction. Bend to SP's vagaries. Go with the flow.

(And don't forget to vote for my latest mountain page)

Cheers, Martin :wink:

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:06 pm

vancouver islander wrote:
Altruism is the key. Submit your work for the good of others and your own satisfaction. Bend to SP's vagaries. Go with the flow.

Good advice!

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:12 pm

vancouver islander wrote:

OK, but wich one :lol:

mvs

by mvs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey Alexandre, your photography is pretty incredible. Do you have to carry a full size SLR for pictures like that?

As for the TR, better luck next time if it doesn't hit the front page. Just keep cranking them out! Whether or not you get public huzzahs, you've captured another mountain climb in a memorable way for you and your friends on the climb. The value of a good TR grows with distance from the event.

rpc

by rpc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:06 pm

nattfodd wrote:I'll do this again, I have spent too much time and effort to see this forgotten in the depths of the site: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... dream.html

it's amazing. I vote we make it a permanent front page feature of sp!

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 pm

Yes, I do carry a full DSLR with one or two lenses, which is a royal pain in the butt but well worth it afterwards. There's more details on http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutor ... bing.shtml

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback