California is the Best.

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Guyzo wrote:DayHiker..... we never have vacant homes in California, like they do in other parts of the country.

It's always very strange to see them when I travel.

Out here those would be flipped or torn down and replaced.

Wait, I was wrong. We do have Trona, CA.

Lots of "home bargains" to be found there.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Guyzo wrote:
Guyzo wrote:DayHiker..... we never have vacant homes in California, like they do in other parts of the country.

Ha, yes, Trona. My favorite part of the Vegas-to-Ridgecrest drive.

From what I understand, Detroit is notorious for having many burnt structures still standing, even more than other crappy eastern cities. The photos I posted were only a fraction of the dozens of photos I took in just a couple hours in just one section of Detroit. City blocks have empty lots where houses used to stand, and there are many burnt houses still standing.

I didn't have to look hard to find several dozen burnt houses for photos. There are blocks where half the houses are either torn down or burnt. :shock:

As you can see from the silver Cavalier in the first photo, there are people living next to that burnt house, next to the vacant yard. And, it's not obvious from the photo, but the house with the for-sale sign in the last photo is actually on the other side of that occupied house, so they are living in a house with burnt houses on both sides. Imagine them, trying to sell that house.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
Guyzo wrote:

Ha, yes, Trona. My favorite part of the Vegas-to-Ridgecrest drive.

From what I understand, Detroit is notorious for having many burnt structures still standing, even more than other crappy eastern cities. The photos I posted were only a fraction of the dozens of photos I took in just a couple hours in just one section of Detroit. City blocks have empty lots where houses used to stand, and there are many burnt houses still standing.

I didn't have to look hard to find several dozen burnt houses for photos. There are blocks where half the houses are either torn down or burnt. :shock:

As you can see from the silver Cavalier in the first photo, there are people living next to that burnt house, next to the vacant yard. And, it's not obvious from the photo, but the house with the for-sale sign in the last photo is actually on the other side of that occupied house, so they are living in a house with burnt houses on both sides. Imagine them, trying to sell that house.

SuperAgent needed.... :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 pm

I'd push the quiet neighbors, and warm community atmosphere.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:00 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:being the only 3 white folks in the whole damn area

i'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Everything! Go to an all black area in Detroit as a white guy and you'll understand. Some people were cool but others yelled just because we were white.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:06 pm

Your Dudeness wrote:
Andinistaloco wrote:
lcarreau wrote:If you want a RED piece of rock, you gotta try out Arizona!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Nothing to see here. Keep talking about how great CA is.

Hey Walt! Where you been?

I'm around amigo. Staying away from the septic tank, though. ;) What gives with you? Any more trips out thisaway?

ksolem

by ksolem » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Aridzona….

I think not.

8)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Detroit, right?

ksolem

by ksolem » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:58 pm

If that were Detroit the F16 would have red wings, eh?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:27 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:
MikeTX wrote:

Everything! Go to an all black area in Detroit as a white guy and you'll understand. Some people were cool but others yelled just because we were white.

Never been to Detroit. But I've been to places similar to the one you've described. I've never considered the "darkness" of an area to be an indicator of danger. Bars on the windows, that's a good indicator.

In the Detroit area, many of the higher-crime areas (e.g., Detroit) are predominantly black, and the safer areas (i.e., most suburbs) are more mixed or in some cases predominantly white. This is not a racist statement, nor is it even opinion; you can look up the demographics and statistics yourself.

But I think it still deserves an explanation. It is not that skin color makes for a high-crime neighborhood; it is poverty making for a high-crime neighborhood, and, as a consequence of history, there are many more blacks in poverty. Unlike some other large cities, Detroit city, essentially all of it, is an impoverished shithole, and it's like 80 or 85% black, some parts 99%. The suburbs are 90% white; some parts 99%. Again, it's not that the violent-crime rate is dependent on skin color; it's that the violent-crime rate is correlated with the poverty level. And more blacks happen to be in poverty, at least in Detroit.

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 pm

To move off the above thread drift and get back to the LA rules thread drift, how's this for proof:

8:30 a.m.: I'm in a suit at the LA Superior Court doing my thing. My matter is the first one up and I'm out of there in 15 mins.

9:15 a.m.: Rather than spend an hour wading in traffic back to the Westside, I've got my mt. bike and I'm parking at the Mt. Wilson Toll Road trailhead and riding in a matter of minutes.

10:30 a.m.: After about 2500' of climbing, it's good 50 degrees, leaves on the ground, no one around. Beautiful. I cross paths with a good sized buck a couple of times and eventually turn around.

10:45 a.m.: I'm back at the car (yes, I know, it's depressing to descend in 15 min. what it took me 1:15 to climb).

11:15 a.m.: Back at my office in Santa Monica with plenty of time to get loads of work done and still be home in time for dinner.

I love LA.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:35 pm

fatdad wrote:To move off the above thread drift and get back to the LA rules thread drift, how's this for proof:

8:30 a.m.: I'm in a suit at the LA Superior Court doing my thing. My matter is the first one up and I'm out of there in 15 mins.

9:15 a.m.: Rather than spend an hour wading in traffic back to the Westside, I've got my mt. bike and I'm parking at the Mt. Wilson Toll Road trailhead and riding in a matter of minutes.

10:30 a.m.: After about 2500' of climbing, it's good 50 degrees, leaves on the ground, no one around. Beautiful. I cross paths with a good sized buck a couple of times and eventually turn around.

10:45 a.m.: I'm back at the car (yes, I know, it's depressing to descend in 15 min. what it took me 1:15 to climb).

11:15 a.m.: Back at my office in Santa Monica with plenty of time to get loads of work done and still be home in time for dinner.

I love LA.

I guess. If you consider Mt. Wilson "climbing". :P

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 pm

fatdad wrote:To move off the above thread drift and get back to the LA rules thread drift, how's this for proof:

I love LA.

Hard day at the office. :wink:

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:07 am

Day Hiker wrote:
MikeTX wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:
MikeTX wrote:

Never been to Detroit. But I've been to places similar to the one you've described. I've never considered the "darkness" of an area to be an indicator of danger. Bars on the windows, that's a good indicator.

In the Detroit area, many of the higher-crime areas (e.g., Detroit) are predominantly black, and the safer areas (i.e., most suburbs) are more mixed or in some cases predominantly white. This is not a racist statement, nor is it even opinion; you can look up the demographics and statistics yourself.

But I think it still deserves an explanation. It is not that skin color makes for a high-crime neighborhood; it is poverty making for a high-crime neighborhood, and, as a consequence of history, there are many more blacks in poverty. Unlike some other large cities, Detroit city, essentially all of it, is an impoverished shithole, and it's like 80 or 85% black, some parts 99%. The suburbs are 90% white; some parts 99%. Again, it's not that the violent-crime rate is dependent on skin color; it's that the violent-crime rate is correlated with the poverty level. And more blacks happen to be in poverty, at least in Detroit.

Agreed! I'm most definitely not a racist. I just happened to be in an all black neighborhood in Detroit and found quite a bit of aggression towards us; mostly people on the street though. The people working in several businesses were nice to us but were probably thinking; what the heck are these folks doing in this neighborhood?!? There seriously was not one cop around either; I think they purposely avoid the bad areas.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:00 am

Bizarre. The advertisement banner that came up on summitpost, at the end of this thread, was for "AfroRomances, where love is more than skin deep".

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander