New Viesturs book?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Alpinisto

New Viesturs book?

by Alpinisto » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Just saw this on the rotating Google ad at the top of the page:

Looks like I'll be starting my Christmas list early this year...

welle

by welle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:22 pm

I don't know about this, but I'm looking forward to my Steve House book and also seeing him in person at NYC Patagonia store!

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:33 pm

welle wrote:I don't know about this, but I'm looking forward to my Steve House book and also seeing him in person at NYC Patagonia store!

Me, too! (Paul and I are coming down for the lecture/book signing.)

Whoever gets there first, save the other a seat, eh? :wink:

I'm a couple chapters into Beyond the Mountain already. Good stuff.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Alpinisto wrote:
welle wrote:I don't know about this, but I'm looking forward to my Steve House book and also seeing him in person at NYC Patagonia store!

Me, too! (Paul and I are coming down for the lecture/book signing.)

Whoever gets there first, save the other a seat, eh? :wink:

I'm a couple chapters into Beyond the Mountain already. Good stuff.

Ha ha

It's only about 10 blocks from where I am right now.

when is that? I didn't know who Steve House is :oops: so I deleted the Patagonia invite.

welle

by welle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:01 pm

John Duffield wrote:
Ha ha

It's only about 10 blocks from where I am right now. when is that?
I didn't know who Steve House is :oops: so I deleted the Patagonia invite.

John, make sure you come to the downtown store. It's next Wednesday, Oct. 14 6.30pm. Steve House is a pretty big deal and a bad ass. Here is an excerpt from his bio on Patagonia website:

Steve’s most (in?)-famous ascent occurred in September 2005. He and Vince Anderson pioneered a direct new route on the Rupal Face of 8126-meter (26,660-foot) Nanga Parbat. The 4100-meter (13,500-foot) face had never before been climbed in alpine style. During Steve’s 2004 season in the Karakoram he raised the standards of alpine climbing with his solo ascent of K7 via a new route in 41:45 hours (with 26 hours of nonstop climbing to summit) using no fixed ropes, no bolts, and only a seven-pound pack. It was the mountain’s second ascent. http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/patagon ... setid=1662

Alpinisto, looking forward to seeing you and Paul next Wed!

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 pm

This is a definite must-read. I've been focusing my reading of late on the summit attempts of K2, particularly the '53 American attempt (with and in honor of Charles Houston) and the '54 Italian summit and Bonatti's debacle. Diemberger's coffee table book on the history of K2 climbing is also really interesting. Needless to say Viesturs' tale will add yet another dimension to the mountain.

BTW does anyone know where I can get a decent topo of K2/Baltoro Muztagh? I've looked online but have found mostly satellite pictures with a few notes scribbled. It'd be great to actually follow the routes on a map.

welle

by welle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:17 pm

MarthaP wrote:BTW does anyone know where I can get a decent topo of K2/Baltoro Muztagh? I've looked online but have found mostly satellite pictures with a few notes scribbled. It'd be great to actually follow the routes on a map.

How far are you from Golden, CO? If not too far - I'm pretty sure the AAC Library has something...

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Or send a PM to Azfal. He's a tour operator there. I've looked around for maps to the Himalaya online before with negative results. Then find lovely maps spread all over the bookstores on the streets of the towns when I get there.

I've got a huge map of Cho Oyu. I wonder if I really will ever use it?

Thank you Welle. Hope to see everybody there.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:25 pm

welle - big "duh" for me - I'm 20 minutes away. I'll definitely look into it. As well, John, it'd be nice to have a map hanging on my wall, so I'll be certain to contact your reference. If you think you might be interested in selling your map of Cho Oyu please keep me in mind. I'm interested in learning all I can about the big peaks of the world. Who knows, with any luck I might actually get to summit one!

Enjoy the presentation in NYC!

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:52 pm

John Duffield wrote:I didn't know who Steve House is :oops: so I deleted the Patagonia invite.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

He's only one of the premier American alpinists alive today. (Over on RC.com, he's affectionately known as "Steve F-cking House" for his amazing Himalayan alpine-style climbs.)

If there are a bunch of us SP'ers going to the Patagucci event next week, should we think about meeting up ahead of time for some beer and food (and beer)?

I nominate Welle to coordinate... :wink:

bird

by bird » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Alpinisto wrote:
John Duffield wrote:I didn't know who Steve House is :oops: so I deleted the Patagonia invite.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

He's only one of the premier American alpinists alive today. (Over on RC.com, he's affectionately known as "Steve F-cking House" for his amazing Himalayan alpine-style climbs.)

If there are a bunch of us SP'ers going to the Patagucci event next week, should we think about meeting up ahead of time for some beer and food (and beer)?

When is the event? I may need to have a meeting in NYC that day? Just saw the listing above...I may try to attend.
E

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:03 pm

It's next Wednesday, Oct. 14 6.30pm.

It's in SOHO 101 Wooster just off Spring Street. Been there many times. :oops:
Patagucci?

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Alpinisto wrote:

This place?

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/zoe/?restaurantid=2314&page=6

about 5 blocks away

it's across the street from the new EMS ha ha

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:50 pm

2_climbaxes wrote:Also, I saw him in Portland a few years ago and his presentation was about as entertaining as watching fresh bread dry out and become stale. Maybe he just had a bad day or something, but man...

I saw him both in Ouray during one of the ice fests and again in Denver when he was promoting his last book. He's definitely not Mr. Personality. :wink: His Ouray presentation had some useful information, though.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:45 am

Next

Return to General