0 degree bag

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Luciano136 wrote:I have an older North Face snowshoe now. It's warm but doesn't pack very small; maybe I just need a better stuffsack or it's just doesn't pack that small because it's synthetic?

Yeah synthetics don't typically compress as well as down. A compression stuff sack helps, to a point.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 pm

I 2nd the Kodiak. Even though I don't have one... yet! They are expensive, but I think dropping some coin on a good sleep system is worth every penny (as Ramblin Dave knows). Nothing beats a good night sleep in the mountains. I have a WM Carbou which is rated at 40 degrees. I use it all year round. I just wear all my clothing to bed, including my belay jacket/ pants to extend the temp range. Its also nice not having to get dressed in the morning. I think a this system with a good 20 degree bag would be perfect in sub zero temps as I get a little cold every now and then (nothing that a hot water bottle or two cant fix though). So, until I can afford a Kodiak I will continue sleeping in my clothes.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Well, I'm usually awake most of the night since I'm a terrible sleeper but being cold on top of it, just really sucks :).

If I do fall asleep, my temp seems to go down so much that I wake up cold?! I can be perfectly toasty at the beginning of the night and end up cold a few hours later. I guess I'm just not made to sleep outside LOL
To somewhat fix it, I started using a bag that is technically too warm and unzip it. Then later in the night, I zip it up and I'm sort of ok.

Ironically, the coldest I've been was in Death Valley where I had an older 30ish degree bag and it went down to lower twenties; man, that sucked!

albanberg

by albanberg » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Luciano136 wrote:Well, I'm usually awake most of the night since I'm a terrible sleeper but being cold on top of it, just really sucks :).

If I do fall asleep, my temp seems to go down so much that I wake up cold?! I can be perfectly toasty at the beginning of the night and end up cold a few hours later. I guess I'm just not made to sleep outside LOL
To somewhat fix it, I started using a bag that is technically too warm and unzip it. Then later in the night, I zip it up and I'm sort of ok.

Ironically, the coldest I've been was in Death Valley where I had an older 30ish degree bag and it went down to lower twenties; man, that sucked!

For better sleeping in general, I suggest yoga...but not the type of yoga that you find in the typical yoga storefront place. If you're interested let me know and I'll send you the info on my teacher. I think there's someone in the LA area that you could see as well.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:46 pm

Whatever you do, don't buy REI bags. Have had 2 and they both lost their loft in very short order. 1 is a 0 degree bag the other a 30 degree bag. Both Down. Have marmot 0 degree bag and its just as old and has retained its loft and is lighter and obviously packs smaller. More expensive though.

Personally from my perusal of sleeping bags over the years there is no difference between Feathered Friends/Marmot/Western Mountaineering. The only true difference is that Feathered Friends allows you to pick which cloth type you want and what size of bag you want. So if you are shorter or taller, you can get a bag that actually fits you. All of them cost the same Buckazoids $$$$$. Bunches.

Brian

albanberg wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:Well, I'm usually awake most of the night since I'm a terrible sleeper but being cold on top of it, just really sucks :).

For better sleeping in general, I suggest yoga...but not the type of yoga that you find in the typical yoga storefront place. If you're interested let me know and I'll send you the info on my teacher. I think there's someone in the LA area that you could see as well.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:53 am

Wastral wrote:Whatever you do, don't buy REI bags. Have had 2 and they both lost their loft in very short order. 1 is a 0 degree bag the other a 30 degree bag. Both Down.

I've had a -25F REI bag for 10 years and it has served me fine. Loft is pretty close to where it was when I bought it. The big complaint that I have is that it was never a -25f bag. I generally don't sleep cold, but I need to start putting on clothes at about -15F.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:00 am

mconnell wrote:
Wastral wrote:Whatever you do, don't buy REI bags. Have had 2 and they both lost their loft in very short order. 1 is a 0 degree bag the other a 30 degree bag. Both Down.

I've had a -25F REI bag for 10 years and it has served me fine. Loft is pretty close to where it was when I bought it. The big complaint that I have is that it was never a -25f bag. I generally don't sleep cold, but I need to start putting on clothes at about -15F.

Prolly depends where you are too. A dry -25F feels much better than a humid -25F. When I was playing in CO and it was 28F, it felt like 50F Socal temp.

Previous

Return to Gear