New Viesturs book?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks, Damien!

welle

by welle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:25 pm

John Duffield wrote:
Alpinisto wrote:
If there are a bunch of us SP'ers going to the Patagucci event next week, should we think about meeting up ahead of time for some beer and food (and beer)?

I nominate Welle to coordinate... :wink:

This place?

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/zoe/?restaurantid=2314&page=6

about 5 blocks away

it's across the street from the new EMS ha ha

Zoe's menu doesn't show beer. Since Alpinisto suggested beer, maybe The Broome Street Bar? A perfect NYC dive :) http://broomestreetbar.ypguides.net/ What time?

P.S. may invite other local SPers as well...

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Ok. I like this one as well. It's also closer to Patagucci.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:52 pm

2_climbaxes wrote:After suffering through his last book, there is no way I'd spend a penny on another of his books. He is a tremendous climber, there is no question about that. But "No Shortcuts..." seemed like it was written by an 8th grader and left me very disappointed. I was expecting something much better from such an incredible climber.

Hmmmmmm.... although I read it ages ago, I do remember enjoying it. I'm still keen to read the next one.

mstender

by mstender » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Peak Freak wrote:
2_climbaxes wrote:After suffering through his last book, there is no way I'd spend a penny on another of his books. He is a tremendous climber, there is no question about that. But "No Shortcuts..." seemed like it was written by an 8th grader and left me very disappointed. I was expecting something much better from such an incredible climber.

Hmmmmmm.... although I read it ages ago, I do remember enjoying it. I'm still keen to read the next one.

I did like it too actually. Maybe not the greatest mountaineering book ever, but I certainly enjoyed reading it. Maybe I'll pick it up again though.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:41 pm

welle wrote:I don't know about this, but I'm looking forward to my Steve House book and also seeing him in person at NYC Patagonia store!

I saw that he was recently in Boulder doing a signing. Sucks.
I swear, living in the mountains, Denver could disappear tomorrow and we wouldn't hear about it until the next day. :x
Would have been way-cool to see S. House.

RickF

by RickF » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:28 pm

This is a very disjointed and confusing thread. It starts out about Viesturs' new book about K2 then goes off in a direction about Steve House and a book signing for his new book.

Some like it, some say it sucked, some imply that he has no personality and he's a boring speaker. What the readers of these posts can't tell is which author/climber these remarks are aimed at, Steve House or Ed Viesturs?

I've read several climbing/mountain books, many of which were discussed on SP. In my opinion, "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs was one of the most enjoyable.

I just got the new Lynn Hill book, but after I finish it I'll check out Steve House's book.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:58 am

RickF wrote:This is a very disjointed and confusing thread. It starts out about Viesturs' new book about K2 then goes off in a direction about Steve House and a book signing for his new book.

Some like it, some say it sucked, some imply that he has no personality and he's a boring speaker. What the readers of these posts can't tell is which author/climber these remarks are aimed at, Steve House or Ed Viesturs?

I've read several climbing/mountain books, many of which were discussed on SP. In my opinion, "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs was one of the most enjoyable.

I just got the new Lynn Hill book, but after I finish it I'll check out Steve House's book.

I'll apologize for my part in that. We should probably start a new thread for the Steve House party in the Eastern U.S. section.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:17 am

RickF wrote:This is a very disjointed and confusing thread. It starts out about Viesturs' new book about K2 then goes off in a direction about Steve House and a book signing for his new book.

Viesturs.

RickF wrote:I've read several climbing/mountain books, many of which were discussed on SP. In my opinion, "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs was one of the most enjoyable.

Yes, we are a rambling bunch. It's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get. And it's all tasty. You just have to hang in there and read the entire thread.

If you want really enjoyable material, read Bonatti's The Mountains of My Life, follow it with Charles Houston's K2: the Savage Mountain, and wrap it up with Boukreev's Above the Clouds. And that's just for starters.

The above information has nothing to do with Viestur's book other than it's reading about great mountain adventures, most of which include K2 which is what Viestur's latest release is about.

Follow? :D

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:18 pm

I've read the first two chapters of Viesturs' new book so far, and he is certainly not a master of prose style.

The first chapter diagnoses the mistakes of the 2008 expeditions. He wasn't there, so I'm sure some will view it as unfair.

The second tells the story of his 1992 summit of K2, when he didn't follow his own gut, and got away with it. He spends a lot more time on the choices of the other climbers that year than on his own decisions.

taxinvestor

by taxinvestor » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:He spends a lot more time on the choices of the other climbers that year than on his own decisions.

I find this is the case with many mountaineering books. The author makes all the right moves while most of the other climbers mentioned are guilty of various mistakes.

+1 for The Mountains of My Life

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:34 pm

I wish I still lived on the east coast so I could see Steve house.

I loved no shortcuts to the top but he discussed his whole 92 K2 experience in it. Why make a book about it?

Cookie Addict

by Cookie Addict » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:40 pm

RickF wrote:

What NEW Lynn Hill book? has she written another bio or is it a collection to stories. Just checked and Amazon only has "Climbing Free"

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:06 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I loved no shortcuts to the top but he discussed his whole 92 K2 experience in it. Why make a book about it?

The new book is about a half-dozen years on the mountain, only one of which was his year.

So he has an opportunity to second-guess everybody else.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:17 am

Arthur Digbee wrote:

So he has an opportunity to second-guess everybody else.

He'd make a perfect fit here with the SP community.

PreviousNext

Return to General