Equipment for Western Breach, Kilimanjaro

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.
Joljon

Equipment for Western Breach, Kilimanjaro

by Joljon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi,
I'm going to Kili in the end of October, and I'm thinking of doing the Western Breach route. Which equipement is needed, beside normal gear? I've seen helmet and crampons in in equipement-lists. What about ice axes? The thing is that we will be carrying everything for ourselfs, so obviously, we want to keep the weight down. Is e.g. crampons really necessary? How much of glacier walk is there? Helmet though, I can understand.

Regards /Joel

divnamite

by divnamite » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:36 pm

When I did it in 2008, I didn't use any technical equipment. Just normal hiking clothes and boots with a light weight down jacket. It does get windy and cold up there since you have to leave early to ensure the rocks are frozen to the ground.

Joljon

by Joljon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks for your reply. In which month did you do the Western Breach? Did you have a helmet?

divnamite

by divnamite » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:24 pm

I went in February, no helmet. I can understand the requirement for helmet because if you are with a slow group, there are potential for rock fall. Not sure why they ask for crampons, it's mostly bare rocks scramble.

kunlun

by kunlun » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:23 am

Did the route in late December in 2005. No technical equipment needed. Yes listen to divnamite it's pretty cold up in Arrow Glacier so bring warm clothes with you 8)

Enjoy the climb :D

Roger

by Roger » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:47 am

Went via Lemoshi and Shira, Lava Tower, Arrow glacier then up the Western Breach

Some small patches of ice but no need for crampons

People say you should go up in the middle of the night though I disagree as you miss most of the fantastic views.

Helmet offers some protection against small rocks which depending upon when you go might be useful though its a personal call on that one. If with a group for sure to be safer

Bring water bottle parkas if going in the night up the breach as your exposed water bottles will freeze

Usual multiple layers also

My tip is to stay a night at the crater and explore the glaciers on top, if so you will need crampons, axe.

All in all take your time and enjoy the journey, dont rush it!

Do Mt Meru first, take the long route up first day as there is more chance of animals and the bottom loop you can go over to the ash cone also if you so planned

Joljon

by Joljon » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks guys for your answers, they have been very helpful!

Joel

axelandr

by axelandr » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:23 am

No need for a helmet on the Western Breach. Just did it a couple of weeks ago, and didn't experience any rockfall whatsoever. I was alone on the route though, and we triggered some small rockfall ourselves, so try to be the first one going up if several parties have gathered at arrow glacier. If not, a helmet might be good idea.

Alex.

JanG

by JanG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:30 am

My suggestion is to combine the UMBWE route with the Western Breach. It is primarily a scramble (class 3) so no equipment is needed, just WARM clothes. It is an amazing combination because there is no nobody on the route and the views are awesome. You can read about in my Trip Report at SP.

Good luck!

JanG

Return to Africa