Aoraki

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Ozclimb

Aoraki

by Ozclimb » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Anyone climbed Aoraki at a reasonable price!!???? everywhere I look/enquire its several thousands of dollars!!! WTF??? its only 5 hours away and 3 days at the most right??.(in good weather)
If anyone knows a reputable guide let me know

cheers
Andy :)

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:40 am

Shit. The fees are approaching 5 grand!!.

For that kind of money you could afford to cross the pond as many times as it takes to build up your experience until you can climb Aoraki without a guide.

I suspect insurance costs are largely to blame, and of course, they generally fly you half way up the mountain anyway, which costs money and robs you of the lower half of the mountain.

Personally I'd rather do Mt Earnslaw alone than climb the top half of Aoraki with a guide. But each to his own. I can understand anyone wanting to stand on top of Aoraki. Enjoy.

shauno

by shauno » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:07 pm

I agree the costs are pretty high. They usually don't include the flights in those costs either. Get some experience on some lower mountains there and then climb Cook without a guide.

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands