Mountaineering movies

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:59 am

Damn I need to find K2 on DVD.

lost_in_nj

by lost_in_nj » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:03 am

Chewbacca wrote:"E'Lollipop" - a kids movie from South Africa. It's filmed in Lesotho (Drakensberg range). Not a climbing movie, more an outdoors movie taking place in the mountains of my childhood. I guess it contributed to my interest in travelling to "mystical" mountain ranges far off the tourist track and also interacting on equal terms with the locals. Haven't seen it since I was 8-9 years old.

Weird...

I think I was probably even younger than you the last time I saw that movie. Even though I barely remember any details, I vividly remember the impact it made on me. Probably more so than just about any other movie I've seen in my life.

Edit: Just saw you can buy it on DVD now... might have to buy a copy just for the scenery.

RickF

Re: Montaineering Movies

by RickF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:50 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:The one I enjoyed the most was THE MOUNTAIN with Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner

+1

Vertical Limit, Cliffhanger, and The Eiger Sanction are entertaining but The Mountain is a real classic. No producer has been able to match quality of the story line or technical accuracy of The Mountain.

don

by don » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 am

I really enjoyed a movie titled "The Climb" . It's a Canadian film (1986) which features Bruce Greenwood as Herman Buhl in his climb of Nanga Parbat in 1953.

http://brucegreenwoodfans.com/mov-tv/climb/index.html

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 pm

SpiderSavage wrote:My fav: The Eiger Sanction, Clint Eastwood, 1975
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072926/

When I was a kid I was impressed by the climbing scene in James Bond: For Your Eyes Only. For years I thought prussicking should be done with shoe-lace sized cords. :oops:

I've climbed with a guide that used cords about that size (4mm) for prussiks. Grips really well on iced-up skinny ropes.

Pablohoney

by Pablohoney » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:12 am

Had to go find this with all the talk here lately, again William Shatner+Climbing=Great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlxzpWjM5Q8

rmick25

White Hell of Pitz Palu

by rmick25 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:51 am

White Hell of Pitz Palu. Silent movie from the 20's. Classic! One of the first mountain movies.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:34 pm

HandjamMasterC wrote:
The Mountain is a real classic. No producer has been able to match quality of the story line or technical accuracy of The Mountain.

You are kidding, right? I love the scene where Spencer Tracy pulls Robert Wagner right up to him while Wagner is hanging on a rope. The only thing more " technically accurate " is Andre The Giant pulling himself and 3 other people straight up on a rope ( in Princess Bride )!! :lol:

Ha!

Another good one was Eastwood giving George Kennedy a body belay from the top of the Totem Pole. :shock:

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:34 pm

HandjamMasterC wrote:
The Mountain is a real classic. No producer has been able to match quality of the story line or technical accuracy of The Mountain.

You are kidding, right? I love the scene where Spencer Tracy pulls Robert Wagner right up to him while Wagner is hanging on a rope. The only thing more " technically accurate " is Andre The Giant pulling himself and 3 other people straight up on a rope ( in Princess Bride )!! :lol:

Gotta love Princess Bride.

Vizzini: He didn't fall!? Inconceivable!
Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hansw

by hansw » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Speaking of the Eiger there are two films by Leo Dickinson from early 1980:

”Out of the Shadow into the Sun”. 50 min.

”Filming the Impossible”. 38 min. He also wrote a book with the same name.
This one includes a gripping scene where Cliff Phillips is losing his foothold and starts tumbeling down the second icefield.

neoday

by neoday » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:48 pm

if you haven't seen Higher Ambitions yet- you need to. No Hollywood antics but a great story and almost all climbing. One of my top if not top favorite movies.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 pm

neoday wrote:if you haven't seen Higher Ambitions yet- you need to. No Hollywood antics but a great story and almost all climbing. One of my top if not top favorite movies.

+ a million! My favorite together with Touching the Void.

richebay

by richebay » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:24 pm

My favorite would have to be Werner Herzogs "In the Dark Glow of the Mountains" about Messners traverse of the Gasherburn massif in alpine style. If you're a fan of film, you know Herzog is one of the greats and he really does this amazing feat justice with this documentary. I believe it is available on Netflix too.

Flatlander2climb

by Flatlander2climb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:39 am

mvs wrote:There were no explosions or jumps across cliffs with ice tools. The accident scene was pretty realistic and believable.

K2 is actually a darn good movie, and I don't like seeing it lumped in with "Vertical Limit," a truly horrible film. Yes, it has a 1980s "cheese" factor, but the Eiger Sanction has a similar dollop of 1970s cheese.

haha yes Vertical Limit. I remember seeing that a few years ago before I got into climbing at all. I just watched a clip of it on youtube the other day and just in the one minute I saw I was fairly surprised that Ed Viesturs would agree to be in a movie that was so ridiculous. No criticism to him, but it kind of made me laugh knowing how serious he is about what he does.

RickF

by RickF » Mon May 03, 2010 9:25 pm

jspeigl wrote:A while back there was this thread about a German movie Nordwand. Has anybody seen it yet in the US?

Nordwand is playing at some of the old revival theaters around Southern California. I saw it last Friday night at the Bayview Theater in Seal Beach. Even with the sub-titles and embellishing history with some cheesy love story, its a great climbing movie. It does a good job of showing how alpine climbing was done in 1936.

PreviousNext

Return to General