Obsession or goals?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
graham

Obsession or goals?

by graham » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:09 pm

So when does a goal become an obsession :?: One man’s goal is another man’s obsession.

Here’s a video of Rich Simpson’s “obsession” with Action Directe 9a. Rich shows amazing focus, determination, drive, etc. to get his goal. Great stuff!

When I started here at SP my obsessed-goal was to day hike all the CA 14ers. That took me ~2 years to complete (2005-2007). I know this is several orders of magnitude below Rich Simpson’s “obsession”, but still I remember pouring over maps, Secor’s book, SP trip reports, etc. and I was pretty obsessed about my goal.

My current obsessed-goal is to lead several different 5.11 routes. I know, I know; don’t chase the grade. But I don’t care, I *want* to get these done. Gotta have them goals…….or obsessions :wink:

What’s your obsessed-goal :?:

bird

by bird » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Image

I have others but that one sums them all up.

DMT

"I've got one just like it in my living room"

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

After hiking my son's first mountain with him, he was really into it. we talked about it and thought it would be cool stick with it and climb Denali after he graduated high school in June 2010. Well, as he aged he grew out of the hiking, etc. but i have been fixated on Denali since 2001 and still plan to climb it, only a couple years late.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:54 pm

bird wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:[img]

DMT

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Nothing at the current time, a week ago it was Exfoliation Dome and a couple months ago it was a traverse of the Liberty Bell group. Now they are just goals, but I would certainly not turn down an opportunity!

-Mark

bird

by bird » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:46 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
bird wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:[img]

DMT

I was wondering who would "get it".

ksolem

by ksolem » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Image

DMT

Hmm. Castle Rock Spire, from the west...?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:08 pm

For a few years I was pretty obsessed with climbing the 5,000 ft NE Buttress of Johannesburg in the North Cascades in winter. I came very close to making the second winter ascent of the rig, but a malfunctioning stove forced a reatreat just below easy ground to the summit. I came back several times over the years only to find poor conditions on the route. I did make some first ascents of frozen waterfalls in the Cascade River valley though.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:20 pm

When ya got the <C> and Layton Kor on the Eiger the day before John Harlin took his last big plunge, tattoo'd on your arm, what do you think?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Catamount wrote:
The Chief wrote:When ya got the <C> and Layton Kor on the Eiger the day before John Harlin took his last big plunge, tattoo'd on your arm, what do you think?

Well, for starters, I think you might want to get one of those back-saver shovels. Very good for your back and posture.

I have two of them... my Wife uses em!

I shovel snow for the work out and my health.

If I was worried about my back, I wouldn't be hauling 100 lb Pig Loads, 10-15 miles up to 12K'+, into the BC to put up FA's.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Catamount wrote:
The Chief wrote:When ya got the <C> and Layton Kor on the Eiger the day before John Harlin took his last big plunge, tattoo'd on your arm, what do you think?

Well, for starters, I think you might want to get one of those back-saver shovels. Very good for your back and posture.

They're too damn heavy and a hell of a lot more work than a standard shovel. I find that my back is much happier with a standard shovel.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Catamount wrote:

If you have to throw snow over a high bank, the back-saver shovels are a pain in the butt.

Diggler

by Diggler » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:59 pm

My goal is to be obsessed with climbing-related tattoos.

rpc

by rpc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:21 pm

4 years of thinking & obsessing about this chosspile. I'd read & reread the FA article from 1941 (had it memorized pretty much)..always getting that warm feeling in the pit of my stomach...I'd look at it while driving by below on the freeway. Study photos of it. Buy gear for it (not trivial to find a single supplier that will sell you 50+ thin/short knifeblades). I could smell the adventure & the moss. I'd wake up one day & think "what's the big fucking deal?"...but then the next day I'd recall the fatalities & be scared shitless.

Why? I dunno.

Mainly I wanted to see what the fuss was about - I mean, 62 years & <20 ascents while being within spitting distance of Portland & I84. It was the best adventures I've had climbing. Did not disappoint - loved it (esp. when it was done). Nothing has done it for me since.

rpc

by rpc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi Borut - no, there was one older climber who wanted to touch the summit (he's done the research on the climbing history of this thing...guess he too is obsessed with it :) ) so he jugged our fixed ropes

Next

Return to General