MT HOOD national Forest - weather in OCTOBER?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
TOMR

MT HOOD national Forest - weather in OCTOBER?

by TOMR » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi All,

I will be out Portland OCT 14-19 and will be spending two/three nights in the Mt Hood national forest and would like to complete the Timberline trail that circles the park...FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE what night time lows could I see around middle of October? How are the trail conditions - Ill be going ultra light but would like a heads of for any special needs situations..

THANKS Y'ALL

TR

billisfree

by billisfree » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 pm

twoshztz has a very accurate report.

he beat me to this.

no avatar
TOMR

by TOMR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Yes I was aware of the closed trails due to flooding via the Mt Hood National Forest website, and I figured that I would just make that part of the planning to NOT try to get through that mess..

I guess Ill check all the weather sites quite frequently, and I was thinking that the weather could be hit or miss..

GUESS Ill bring the 30DEG bag.. NOT a fan of the unexpected SNOWFALL with summer weight gear..

THANX again..AND see you soon MT HOOD..

billisfree

by billisfree » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am

Mt Hood got it's first snow in late Sept. On Oct 3rd - extreme winds were on the mountain. One couple with two children camped at about the 8,000 ft level and had their tent shredded by 80-100 mph winds.

Here's a picture dated 10/4. Wind was 25mph at 10 am, 32 degrees with packed snow on roads. By 4pm all roads and parking lot was dry. Wind was nil and temp increased to 60 degrees.

no avatar
TOMR

by TOMR » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:12 pm

well everyone I was up there yesterday.. cloudy, slight rain, low visibility..but still def nice to see..

summit next season for sure..

thanx again..

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)