Interest in another SP sister site?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:12 pm

cp0915 wrote:Yeah, why not just add new boards to the pre-existing ones? Clearly it can be done easily by the elves. I bet a 'Canyoneering' board would get a lot of use.

I think if rafting were to be integrated into the existing architecture then the way to do it would be to create a 'River' object category just like there are existing 'Mountain/Rock' and 'Canyon' categories. That way someone can write about the river in terms of rafting and kayaking and it wouldn't bother anyone who didn't care too much about them.

Such a thing would be more difficult with mountain biking as that occurs on mountains already and might cause some confusion, perhaps why it has its own site.

no avatar
garburator

k

by garburator » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Yes, I've thought about something like a post for water stuff - riverpost, h2opost (uggh), flowpost?

Dan Leonhard

by Dan Leonhard » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 pm

I'd like to see a whitewater anything whether it's kayaking, rafting or anything related but judging from the regional nature of the boards already in existence I don't know how successful one would be here.

try this: http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:39 pm

cp0915 wrote:Yeah, why not just add new boards to the pre-existing ones? Clearly it can be done easily by the elves. I bet a 'Canyoneering' board would get a lot of use.

Interesting idea that I like. What do others think?

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Baarb wrote:

I think if rafting were to be integrated into the existing architecture then the way to do it would be to create a 'River' object category just like there are existing 'Mountain/Rock' and 'Canyon' categories. That way someone can write about the river in terms of rafting and kayaking and it wouldn't bother anyone who didn't care too much about them.

Such a thing would be more difficult with mountain biking as that occurs on mountains already and might cause some confusion, perhaps why it has its own site.

Theoretically, I think SP could do that. SP2 was intended to broaden the scope of SP1 and include non-climbing related activities. While there has been some move towards that, basically it never really took off, so SP2 is still mainly a climbing site, which personally I'm glad never happened. I think it would've really diluted the site.

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:15 am

that would be cool,
I kayak and use professorpaddle.com a lot, it's a forum for NW boaters, kinda like a smaller version of cascadeclimbers, the thing is the kayaking community is way smaller than the climbing community. I doubt it would become very big, but I would join and post stuff....

Baarb

by Baarb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:45 am

I'm neither for or against this but it seems that an extension on SP wouldn't really be necessary if there are already decent existing water activity sites out there (?) Wouldn't it just be replication of existing stuff?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:56 am

With the "pluriferation" of dogs, cats, mushrooms, butterflies, flowers, and rainbows

on Summitpost, I think either "Nature.post" or "domestic animal.post"

would be something to consider OR at least ponder about.

:roll:

silversummit

by silversummit » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm for adding a river/water category.

I say this because Eddyflower, MountainBuzz et al. are all much more narrow in focus. These other boards really just talk about specific sports ignoring the mountains they owe their existence to!

Summitpost is the only place so far I've found that while heavily drawing climbers and gathering climbing beta also provides hiking and outdoor travel information for the US and western Europe. SP already has canyoneering so why not add relevant river and related water info.

visentin

by visentin » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:02 pm

This is a tricky topic. Amongst the mentionned activities, only mountain biking and canyoning are distinct enough the justify a sister site. Kayak too, but would it be enough people and material ? (who takes pictures when kayaking ?)
As for skiiing, rockclimbing, snowshoeing, hillrunning, all these activities are too tightly related to each other to separate all into several sites, and indeed it's far too late, since all is mixed on SummitPost already.
In my opinion the best idea would be not to create any sister site, "merge" MBPost, and launch a new version of SummitPost which would include the notion of activity.
When you create a route, you would specify if it's a hiking route, a climbing route, both (multiselect), a canyoning route, a biking route, etc (many folks on MB bike to a mountain and hike the rest, for example too). There could be this notion also in each users profile, and in your "home page" on SP, once you are logged, would appear only the activities you are interested in. Cyclers, to take again the example of MBPost, would see only cycling routes if they want. For the rest, mountains would remain mountains, areas would remain areas, etc etc.
I am also a supporter of having a custom page for users that would allow choosing regional settings to get a home page showing the news only in few coutries, few ranges, or something like that.
That's how I see SummitPost 3. Such website would be the reference in outdoors on the web !

visentin

by visentin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am

sjarelkwint wrote:GR5, GR10, GR20, WHW, Wicklow Way, ... Can they be put on this site or not? Something I've been wondering about for a long time ... It is SUMMITpost not HIKINGINTHEVALLEYpost

Of course yes ! Mountaineering in general covers so many activities tightly related that we cannot situate clearly the limit between rock-climbing and hillwalking. Said like this yes, but what's the diffrence between a difficult hike and a difficult hike requiring a bit the use of hands ? not much. So separating hiking is a nonsense.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm

LlamaTrekkingPost ? Image

:mrgreen:

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Holsti97 wrote:Summitpost has evolved into more than just a mountaineering website. Why not incorporate other outdoor activities into the SP website? ... I would not want to see hunting, fishing, bird watching, geocaching, and 4 wheeling here but I think mountain biking, hiking, trail running, kayaking, skiing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and canoeing might fit if done right. ...

I agree with this. In fact, take a look at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison page and you'll see how I think that it all fits together (at least technical climbing, mountaineering, canyoneering and paddling).

Black Canyon of the Gunnison SP Page

Previous

Return to Site Feedback