Do you “toss your cookies” before a climb?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Butterflies the night before launching on the Captain, but that's about it. Hurling, definitely not.

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 am

After a strenuous day climb (more like a long, steep hike with a lot of gear on my back), I went to a restaurant and ate way more than I should have too fast, everyone was cheering me on. I had the post-climb hunger even more than usual, so I ate a big burger and a lot of boneless buffalo wings. 30 minutes later, I felt really sick and threw some of it up. My dad said, "What a waste of a buffalo wing."

I laughed and sighed at the same time.

-Mark

kheegster

by kheegster » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:41 am

The upper parts of the DC on Rainier is always dotted with technicolor yawns from the RMI caravans. However, I've heard stories of people who had to do #2 while tied into a rope team up there. No choice but to just drop the pants and let go right there and then. :oops:

lisae

by lisae » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Dragger wrote:I often feel like barfing on the way to a climb if it's a windy, twisty road to get there.

I get car sick. When we go to the Pinnacles, I usually don't feel real good for the first hour or so. Sigh...

Dragger

by Dragger » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:28 am

lisae wrote:
Dragger wrote:I often feel like barfing on the way to a climb if it's a windy, twisty road to get there.

I get car sick. When we go to the Pinnacles, I usually don't feel real good for the first hour or so. Sigh...

Sorry Lisa, I feel your pain! Have you ever tried Trader Joe's ginger chews? Come to think of it, they might work for mind AMS also, not sure.

LazyrLegs

by LazyrLegs » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:01 am

I tend to barf - until discovering the wonderful, delicious, fruit-flavored Tums (can almost convince yourself they're Sweet-Tarts).

Oh yeah - avoid those Clif Bars - gack!

lisae

by lisae » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Dragger wrote:
lisae wrote:

Sorry Lisa, I feel your pain! Have you ever tried Trader Joe's ginger chews? Come to think of it, they might work for mind AMS also, not sure.

Ginger doesn't seem to work for me. I try to be the driver because I get less car sick if I drive. So far that is the best solution . . .

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:43 pm

REAL nervous the night before a big climb

No sleep the night before a big climb

Fortunately, the anxiety disappears hiking up the talus

bird

by bird » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 pm

2 times I puked about 3 days before leaving for big climbing trips. Thought it was nerves, finally decided it was a coincidental stomach bug...but in the back of my mind, wonder about the next big trip.

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander