american alpine institute...any comments ?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
lelf

american alpine institute...any comments ?

by lelf » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:32 am

Hi !

I am thinking about subscribing to the 36 days mountaineering leadership program by the american alpine institute. But before that i want to make sure it is a good school and a great course. Any of you did it ? Is it a good way to improve technical skills ( i already a some experience on easy and moderate climbs and i will take a 8 week-end course here in quebec and in the whites this winter, covering icefall climbs and alpine terrain, crevasse rescue and prussiking etc...). does the course is worth the 7000ish US dollars ???

any info would help !!!!

bird

by bird » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Did their Glacier 2 course and Rainier course in the past. Very good experience with them.

no avatar
JasonMartin

by JasonMartin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm a coordinator and a guide for the American Alpine Institute. If you would like to talk to some people who have taken this course from us in the past, I can put you in touch with them.

I would love to answer any questions that you might have. My email is:

jason @ aai.cc

The spaces are there to keep the spammers away, so eliminate them when you email me.

I can also be reached at 360-671-1505.

Thanks,

Jason

Kiefer

Re: american alpine institute...any comments ?

by Kiefer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm

lelf wrote:Hi !

I am thinking about subscribing to the 36 days mountaineering leadership program by the american alpine institute. But before that i want to make sure it is a good school and a great course. Any of you did it ? Is it a good way to improve technical skills ( i already a some experience on easy and moderate climbs and i will take a 8 week-end course here in quebec and in the whites this winter, covering icefall climbs and alpine terrain, crevasse rescue and prussiking etc...). does the course is worth the 7000ish US dollars ???

any info would help !!!!

$7,000USD?! Is that for real? :shock:

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:13 am

I'm sure AAI has fine courses but have you checked out some of the Canadian firms out west like Canada West Mountain School, Yamnuska and the Canadian Alpine Club to see if they offer any instruction that you're looking for?

lelf

by lelf » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:18 pm

FortMental wrote:"Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills" = $6 (US)...used
Car and Gas for 1 year of climbing = $6,994 (US, CAN)
Experience you'll get = Priceless

i would do so, but i'm not confident enough to climb alone...and all my partners that are leaders can't really commit to climbing for a whole year. Plus I think that learning with a teacher then applying this knowledge by myself is not a bad idea. Yes it is quite expensive, but i always keep in mind that my life and safety is worth more than a few dollars...so i guess i,m gonna stick with the classes...anyway i'm pretty shure that i'll be more efficient after these 36 days than a couple of months of wandering on the hills without proper skills trying to achieve the same goals as i would do in the class !

thanks all of you spers for any help / advice you can give me !!!

Stephie

by Stephie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:35 am

I have taken a 12 day Leadership course with them. they are awesome! go for it..... AMAZING!

Return to General