Kansas City???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
djbritton

Kansas City???

by djbritton » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:04 pm

This "Midwest" forum seems to be dominated by the Great Lakes area... Is anybody on here within a couple hours of KC? I'm looking for some good day hikes. I'm doing Four Pass Loop out near Aspen in the middle of August, so I'm trying to do some warm up trails.

Any ideas out there?

bblack99

KC

by bblack99 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:39 am

I'm a KC native. Unfortunately, there isn't much around here that will prep you for Colorado unless you triple the weight in your pack and try to breathe through a paper bag the whole time!

Here's a site that lists some trails north of the river: http://www.northlandtrails.org/

My personal favorites here in town are pretty short, but can be pretty scenic and offer some brief bursts of uphill action. Weston Bend State Park has a number of hiking trails that intersect with a paved bike path that allows you to add a bit of distance. The bluffs there overlook a big bend in the Missouri River and look down on a part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Parkville's Nature Sanctuary has four trails that you can combine to at least get 3 miles in.

For sheer distance, I think Smithville Lake has the most extensive network of trails, though many are either paved or horse trails (which can get really beat up when it's been wet).

If you drive over to Clinton Lake in Kansas, there are some trails with a bit in the way of hills and some legitimate distance: http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/cl/Trails.cfm

Flatlander2climb

KC!

by Flatlander2climb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Good to see some fellow Kansas Citians on here......unfortunate we don't really have much to do in the way of climbing......but I guess we could be further from the Rockies right?

Either of you done much serious climbing?

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm not from Kansas, but I do have a proposal that should interest you guys.

We pool our money, collect donations, seek some corporate sponsors, and raise money any way we can. Then, when we've got capital, we buy a portion of the Canadian Rockies (save on transportation) or maybe the Atlas Mountains in Morocco (probably willing to sell for less than the Canadians). We then transplant the mountains to the section of land between Kansas City, Des Moines, and Springfield.

Whatta ya say?

grabbs146

great idea

by grabbs146 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm in!!

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)