The Anti-Summit Trip Report

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:05 am

I wish I could say that took the photo - it's a shot of a dive in Jackson Blue spring from a public folder posted on picasaweb from a guy identified as "Steve" (I'd credit his full name but he doesn't give it). All my cave diving photos were taken with a old film Nikonos and I have never bothered to digitize them. Florida cave water can be literally clearer than air, and some of the underwater rooms are bigger than football stadiums.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:07 am

...yeah, but roil that mud without a tether and you're toast...

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:19 am

MarthaP wrote:...yeah, but roil that mud without a tether and you're toast...

+1
exactemente.

That's one of the coolest things about it. Once you've smoked the viz inside a wreck or a cave, you get the biggest rush of Adreneline there is. Why the same people who climb, also like extreme diving.

The control has got to be perfect. My instuctor made me do multiple shutdowns, 6" over the sand without disturbing the sand. Here they've got a couple of feet. But still, lots of swinging tanks and the camera that took this. The strobes. Not easy to set this up. Wowza.

My Brit dive friends hate my camera. Talk about it like it's texting and driving. They're right. Still, some of them are using the photos I took of them in their adverts and Facebook profiles.

If I'm not scared shitless, I'm bored. There's a lot like me here.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:36 am

Beautiful shot, John. Must've been a very fun dive. Ever dive off of British Columbia?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:49 am

dskoon wrote:Beautiful shot, John. Must've been a very fun dive. Ever dive off of British Columbia?

No, but I'd like to someday. There's a good liveaboard that cruises BC and also Alaska - though if I were there it would be hard to decide whether to dive or hike/climb. The furthest north on the Pacific coast that I've dived was Mendocino county. Abalones everywhere, but not legal to take one on scuba. I've heard that everything in BC is like here in California, only bigger. Of course the diving here in the Monterey/Carmel area is pretty darn good, so it's hard to justify getting on a plane when you can drive 90 minutes and get scenery like this:

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 am

JHH60 wrote:
dskoon wrote:Beautiful shot, John. Must've been a very fun dive. Ever dive off of British Columbia?

No, but I'd like to someday. There's a good liveaboard that cruises BC and also Alaska - though if I were there it would be hard to decide whether to dive or hike/climb. The furthest north on the Pacific coast that I've dived was Mendocino county. Abalones everywhere, but not legal to take one on scuba. I've heard that everything in BC is like here in California, only bigger. Of course the diving here in the Monterey/Carmel area is pretty darn good, so it's hard to justify getting on a plane when you can drive 90 minutes and get scenery like this:

True stuff. . I've heard a few times that one special quality of B.C. is the clarity of the water. Clear and cold supposedly make it superb.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Bermuda (below) has fairly clear water, about 30 meters usually, though nothing beats Grand Cayman ('cept I guess those caves).

I've been thinking of starting a U/W shots thread in mod.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 am

I absolutely think you should. Great topic!

I, however, will enjoy it vicariously. I still like my water better frozen. :oops:

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Florida? No, thank you. Spent there five years. Never again!

Previous

Return to General