Detached sole Nepal EVO

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
hamik

Detached sole Nepal EVO

by hamik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:37 am

Any suggestions on repairing these? My options seem to be

1) Normal cobbler in town
2) Shipping to a cobbler in WA or CO
3) Using one of
a) epoxy
b) shoe goo
c) freesole
d) barge cement + vise

I need the glue to be flexible in cold temperatures (down to about 0F) and durable enough that this doesn't happen again halfway up Whitney East Buttress.

Thanks!

jvarholak

by jvarholak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:52 am

you've got Elementary Differential Equation and Quantum Mechanics books on your shelves........ you tawkin ta me???? :shock:

hamik

by hamik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:04 am

Scientists and engineers climb, too :D

jvarholak

by jvarholak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:11 am

hamik wrote:Scientists and engineers climb, too :D

oh for sure...... just figured you could cook up some appropriate adhesive in the lab :lol:
FWIW: I've had limited (long term) success with shoogoo for that application and the epoxies I've tried became brittle and failed in cold temps. Have you asked LS? That's where I'd start.

hamik

by hamik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:23 am

Hm, a cobbler in WA told me that shoe goo and freesole will work awkwardly because they're primarily caulking agents and suggested superglue. Any opinions?

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:06 am

LS will tell you to go to Dave Page cobbler as will every other manufacture. Best in the biz.

http://davepagecobbler.com/

jvarholak

by jvarholak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:16 am

perfect 8k.... thanks... great to know

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:39 am

From what I understand vibram rubber soles are guaranteed for life. If I were you I'd send them back to The manufacture and get new soles for probably only shipping costs

hamik

by hamik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 am

Unfortunately La Sportiva has only a 1 year warranty.

brandon

by brandon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:03 am

Try Sportiva anyway, they may hook you up.

Any cobbler fixes quickly, reliably, little cost.

And quit leaving em in your car when it's hot out.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:40 am

A local cobbler should be able to set you up. If you want to try a dyi first...clean the area with acetone or similar, spread Barge cement top and bottom and let dry. Then CAREFULLY heat area (I use a small torch attachment for those small propane cylinders) and hammer the sole down, then clamp.

funkyicemonkey

by funkyicemonkey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Morning, Im new here so hello all. Barge glue. The application of gentle heat will help you pull back the sole to a point where you can get in there with a wire brush and clean all the gunk out. apply glue then use a clamp to hold it together overnight. I seem to remember that by letting the glue dry first you get stronger bond. Most top notch impact adhesives will do a fair job. Make sure all bonding is done at room temperature and above as well as being spotlessly clean and dry. You can even buy rock boot kits with all the needed stuff (5.10 used to do one). Good luck

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:22 pm

funkyicemonkey wrote:Morning, Im new here so hello all. Barge glue. The application of gentle heat will help you pull back the sole to a point where you can get in there with a wire brush and clean all the gunk out. apply glue then use a clamp to hold it together overnight. I seem to remember that by letting the glue dry first you get stronger bond. Most top notch impact adhesives will do a fair job. Make sure all bonding is done at room temperature and above as well as being spotlessly clean and dry. You can even buy rock boot kits with all the needed stuff (5.10 used to do one). Good luck

BARGE IT... as posted above by funkyicemonkey.

That is what the cobbler will do/use.

Then get a couple of clamps and apply them to the boot and keep em tight for at 24hours.

Simple... It will also save you some bucks that yu'll be given over to the cobbler.

climbncookie

by climbncookie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Avoid shoe goo, I tried to glue my court shoes soles back on and it didn't last very long between the rubber and the foam.

*I have the same Elementary Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problems, although a slightly newer edition it looks like. Satellite on the cover?

hamik

by hamik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with the barge cement. Now I can go to the Palisades over Thanksgiving without the clunky plastics 8).

* Nope, this one just has some polar graph on the cover.

Next

Return to Gear