Fatality on the Obelisk

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:59 pm

Somethings don't add up.

I have climbed the Obelisk.

#1 even Bob Burd could not "day hike" this one, so why no "cold weather gear"

#2 Tons of level ground, wide open with no trees within 1/8 mile of the base of it.

The papers :?

Just hold for more info.

RIP dead climber.

brandon

by brandon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:39 am

I believe this was a hike in day one and bivy trip, then climb on day two. Accident happens and climbers, who are geared up for a 'day climb', are unable to return to cached gear at bivy with victim, who was immobile. Details should come out within couple of days. RIP

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Guyzo wrote:#1 even Bob Burd could not "day hike" this one, so why no "cold weather gear"

Oh, ye of little faith.
Matthew dayhiked this a few months ago with a few of the Gookin brothers. They said it was a very fine climb, indeed.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
Guyzo wrote:#1 even Bob Burd could not "day hike" this one, so why no "cold weather gear"

Oh, ye of little faith.
Matthew dayhiked this a few months ago with a few of the Gookin brothers. They said it was a very fine climb, indeed.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, it's a long hike, took me a day, then a day to climb and a day to get back.

This is a very sad deal, this is not supposed to happen to rock climbers.

:cry:

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:27 pm

Bob Burd wrote:

Oh, ye of little faith.

Oh ? I emailed him about it back in July and it sounded like he bailed on that particular objective, while the Gookins and Tom Becht did it (not sure if there was a camp involved or not). I am sure he could, but other goals presented themselves I guess .. but maybe he went and did it since I dunno.

btw There is a thread on supertopo about this incident. Apparently the deceased was a well-loved member of the south bay climbing community. I watched her lead the offwidth variation of Alimony Cracks in Tuolumne Meadows this past summer, chatted a bit and traded some emails, but never really got to know her. I got the impression she was enthusiastic and upbeat. It's really sad :cry: RIP

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:20 pm

rhyang wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:Oh, ye of little faith.

Oh ? I emailed him about it back in July and it sounded like he bailed on that particular objective, while the Gookins and Tom Becht did it (not sure if there was a camp involved or not). I am sure he could, but other goals presented themselves I guess .. but maybe he went and did it since I dunno.

Ah, I believe you are correct. I think he went out to dayhike Tehipite Dome (since it is on the SPS list) and had planned on joining the Gookins and Becht (who were backpacking, not dayhiking) the next day for the Obelisk. But he couldn't stomach that long march out there on the Rancheria Trail two days in a row, so he bailed. Now I have to add that to the List for next year. Sorry for the thread diversion. It's very sad that this accident happened and my thoughts are with the family...

graham

by graham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Very sad news :( My condolences to her family and friends

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Sounds like her next of kin and friends have been notified, and her husband posted on this thread. It seems that her death was not a result of hypothermia.

They say she took a lead fall on a pitch with highly featured rock, and one of the cams on her gear sling caught, and strangled her :shock: A freak accident.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:18 pm

The only "traverse" that I know of on the SF "OB" is up high on P4 of the SW Face. Pretty straight forward yet delicate. As I remember, protects rather well w/slung CH's. It's a solid Salathe/Wilson "Old Skool" '48 .6ish. I recall Lenny Reeves sharing with me how that traverse was a mind ringer and to not be taken lightly. She was absolutely right!

Another example that what we are doing as climbers can indeed have som very sad consequences. Appears that this was her first real BC climb as well.

Be careful out there folks. Climb within or below your abilities when in the backcountry. Remember that "Old Skool" BC ratings are far more committing and in most cases, more difficult than modern day ratings at the same level.

Sean_SF

by Sean_SF » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I am the husband of the climber who were involved in the accident. I want to thank you for your kind words and prayers. Although Ishun and I have not posted any messages on this forum, we had been utilizing this website and reading most of threads on this forum for the past five years.

To clarify, this was not the first backcountry alpine rock route for Ishun, and it is within her ability. As rock climbers, I think we all understand that lead fall happens to all climbing abilities. Ishun was well protected with pros at the time of fall, and this is indeed of a freak accident. The only factor I can really think of contributing to this accident is that Ishun's party might have been off route, as one of her climbing partners on this trip has commented.

rhyang, thanks for taking the picture of Ishun climbing the alimony crack. I was belaying Ishun at the time and we might have exchanged a few words. Would you be able to send me the original images of these pictures to me?

Chief, I appreciate your cautions about climbing within one's ability. We all need an experienced climber like you to post better route reports to reduce the risk of doing such routes.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 pm

What Rick said.....

I recall doing a unprotected run out, ground fall, 5.8 when we climbed it (west face). It's a big chunk of stone with lots of different ways to climb.

This is so sad.

The shooting star is always the brightest star in the sky.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Sean_SF wrote:rhyang, thanks for taking the picture of Ishun climbing the alimony crack. I was belaying Ishun at the time and we might have exchanged a few words. Would you be able to send me the original images of these pictures to me?

I remember you both .. what a wonderful day in the Meadows that was :)

An email and PM should be on their way with the URL of the pictures.

ksolem

by ksolem » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Sean, I really admire you for finding the strength to share with us your knowledge of this terrible accident. Thanks for this, it is very good of you.

I have yet to lose someone so close so I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you. You are obviously an extraordinary person, I sincerely hope you find peace and live the great life you deserve.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Deepest condolences to Sean and all of Ishun's friends and family. A very sad time :cry: .

Dragger

by Dragger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:53 am

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Sean. Sending lots of positive thoughts your direction. Please take care of yourself.

Next

Return to California