Embedded french, UK and slovak maps on SP pages.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
visentin

Embedded french, UK and slovak maps on SP pages.

by visentin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 pm

First successful test !
Look at the page of Puy Peyre Arse in the Routes section:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... #chapter_3
The only problem is that it can't appear with the scale I would like.
But just try to zoom in it, you'll zoom it until 1/25000. It is no ony possible to show a point, but also a route with GPX files.
Having such flexible maps is not the only advantage. Putting JPEGs of IGN samples is forbidden because of copyrights and then puts SP in illegality. But such applets are allowed.
I plan to do the same to all my peaks covered by french IGN maps.
Perhaps someone has tried similar stuff for example with UK maps ? (I remember that the Ordnance Survey site is particularly good on this kind of technlogies too).
If yes why not starting a common "how to" article page for endebbed maps of each country ?.
Have a nice week end !
Eric
Last edited by visentin on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nanuls

Re: Endebbed french IGN maps on SP pages.

by Nanuls » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:14 pm

visentin wrote:First successful test !
Look at the page of Puy Griou in the Routes section:
But just try to zoom in it, you'll zoom it until 1/25000. It is no ony possible to show a point, but also a route with GPX files.
Having such flexible maps is not the only advantage. Putting JPEGs of IGN samples is forbidden because of copyrights and then puts SP in illegality. But such applets are allowed.
Perhaps someone has tried similar stuff for example with UK maps ? (I remember that the Ordnance Survey site is particularly good on this kind of technlogies too).
If yes why not starting a common "how to" article page for endebbed maps of each country ?.
Have a nice week end !
Eric

Looks good Eric.

I have been using embedded Ordnance Survey maps on may pages in the same way for a year or so now. I'm unsure about whether or not non-UK residents can view them properly though - can you see OS mapping on this page? Goat Walk

visentin

by visentin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Nanuls wrote:Looks good Eric.
I have been using embedded Ordnance Survey maps on may pages in the same way for a year or so now. I'm unsure about whether or not non-UK residents can view them properly though - can you see OS mapping on this page? Goat Walk

Thanks ! It works fine.
Would you be OK to make the UK chapter of such "how to" page ? Any other contributors welcome for any other type of map

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:40 pm

visentin wrote:
Nanuls wrote:Looks good Eric.

Thanks ! It works fine.
Would you be OK to make the UK chapter of such "how to" page ? Any other contributors welcome for any other type of map

Sure, don't mind at all. Let me know when you intend to create a page and I'll happily write something.

visentin

by visentin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:57 pm

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object ... draft.html

Here we are :) Nanuls, you have normally the edit rights. You can start the UK section ! Don't hesitate to modify the introduction too ;)

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 am

Interesting read. Also take a look at the Google Maps Tool by Summitpost member Mattyj. I've been looking at integrating it with EU maps, but haven't had the time yet.

visentin

by visentin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 am

WouterB wrote:Interesting read. Also take a look at the Google Maps Tool by Summitpost member Mattyj. I've been looking at integrating it with EU maps, but haven't had the time yet.

Thanks !

visentin

by visentin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:45 pm

First successful attempt with slovak maps :
http://www.mbpost.com/trail/270984/spis ... #chapter_3

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:51 pm

This one should be develloped/integrated further in the next version of Summitpost.

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Formatting problem in the article: the page is way too wide (in Firefox and Chrome on Windows). This is either due to the "Turisticka" image at the bottom (put it inside a frame with scroll bars) or perhaps due to the sample XML code near the top (above the French example) (just add some carriage returns, they're harmless in XML)

By the way, the example XML code is preceded by a blank rectangle in Firefox, nothing at all in Chrome. I think there's an HTML format error in there somewhere. IE crashed the first time I tried to view the article (probably just a coincidence), but looks OK when I try again now (and the svenska map is much less wide as is the whole page).

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:21 pm

nartreb wrote:IE crashed the first time I tried to view the article (probably just a coincidence).

:D

visentin

by visentin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:40 am

nartreb wrote:Formatting problem in the article: the page is way too wide (in Firefox and Chrome on Windows). This is either due to the "Turisticka" image at the bottom (put it inside a frame with scroll bars) or perhaps due to the sample XML code near the top (above the French example) (just add some carriage returns, they're harmless in XML)

This is due to the sample XML in the GPX chapter, with a police that doesnt enable chariot returns. The slovak map adjusts correctly to the width if we reduce it on other pages.

nartreb wrote:By the way, the example XML code is preceded by a blank rectangle in Firefox, nothing at all in Chrome. I think there's an HTML format error in there somewhere. IE crashed the first time I tried to view the article (probably just a coincidence), but looks OK when I try again now (and the svenska map is much less wide as is the whole page).

I've noticed that but I'm not the developper behind all these maps algorithms. I just enbedded them into SP pages.
For me, IE did not crash, but the route lines do not appear inside the slovak map, and that's a real issue since the aim is to display the route, not to show an empty map.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

My IE doesn't have a problem with it either.

Hey Eric, I have made some amendments to your intro and have nearly finished my section. Wy don't you see if the guy Wouter sites wants to write a chapter.

Cheers
Dan

visentin

by visentin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Nanuls wrote:My IE doesn't have a problem with it either.
Hey Eric, I have made some amendments to your intro and have nearly finished my section. Wy don't you see if the guy Wouter sites wants to write a chapter.
Cheers
Dan

Cool if IE works elsewhere, I must test at other places. Perhaps the IE version..
As for Wouter, you mean the other person he mentionned, Mattyj ? I was browsing yesterday evening links to diffrerent map editors in the world. Looks like the same kind of stuff is possible with norwegian maps, and for US I found a couple, but no idea about displaying routes with GPX.
Thanks for writting the UK chapter ! The maptogps link is great, but what a pity we cannot call the URL with a parameter like for the slovak map ! (http://mapy.hiking.sk/?gpx=http://h.vis ... magura.gpx)

om

Re: Embedded french, UK and slovak maps on SP pages.

by om » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:36 pm

visentin wrote:First successful test !
Look at the page of Puy Peyre Arse in the Routes section:
Have a nice week end !
Eric

Perfect ! That gives more information than tons of bla bla bla...

Next

Return to Europe