Strength training for maintenance

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
radson

by radson » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 pm

My bad, Soles was referring to Crossfit not mtnathlete....plus I see this point has been made in another thread.

http://outdoortech.blogspot.com/2008/05/crossfit-and-climbing.html

sshankle

by sshankle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:58 am

radson wrote:My bad, Soles was referring to Crossfit not mtnathlete....plus I see this point has been made in another thread.

http://outdoortech.blogspot.com/2008/05/crossfit-and-climbing.html

I usually try to bite my tounge on CrossFit discussions on SP, but I wanted to jump in here.

The referenced article is not "scathing," but more of a clarification. In fact, it seems to reinforce one of CrossFit's most fundamental, but also most misunderstood, principles (i.e. the difference between specialization vs GPP).

The best X (x= climbers, runners, bikers, lifters, gymnasts, etc.) may not benefit from CrossFit. It may help. It, also, very well may decrease performance in their specialization, while at the same time increasing their capabilities in physical modes they neglect in favor of their specialization. Similar logic goes to those wishing to develop elite level athletic specialization.

Hence, Mountain Athlete, CrossFit Endurance, SealFit, Gym Jones, etc. (all with additional focus on some endurance/stamina modes). CrossFit and all these have a focus that was lacking or minimized or understated in many previously published sport specific training programs...volume of work at high intensity.

I know CrossFit is a business, and don't care. I find it as effective flatland preparation for my occasional trips to the mtns, crags, or anything else that life throws at me. I also find it very time efficient, and alot of fun!

edit: there are some other points on certification and injury in the ref'd article that are only part of the story, but I won't get into those, unless someone wants to hear it.

radson

by radson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:13 am

yes, scathing is too strong of a word..critical is more apt.

bird

by bird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:11 pm

sshankle wrote:I usually try to bite my tounge on CrossFit discussions on SP, but I wanted to jump in here.

I know CrossFit is a business, and don't care. I find it as effective flatland preparation for my occasional trips to the mtns, crags, or anything else that life throws at me. I also find it very time efficient, and alot of fun!
.[/i]

Thanks Scott...leave me to fend for myself against the crossfit hating hoards... :wink:
And your last comment is well put...I couldn't agree more.

Ze

by Ze » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 am

ExcitibleBoy wrote:Lifting weights for an hour twice a week oughta do you.

this. one can get more than a sufficient amount of weightlifting training in two days a week, 1 hr each day.

you can mix it up anyway you like but you want it to be some form of 'circuit' training where you are mixing in different exercises as you rest from the previous. allow your specific muscles to rest while working on others.

this keeps your heartrate up as some 'cardio' but stimulate muscle growth. perhaps mix up the types of exercises and intensity/volume between the two workouts.

then you can spend 2-3 days doing intense cardio. more than enough for progress.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training