What ice tools are these?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Aksel

tools

by Aksel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 pm

The simond tools are not so common to use here.I have seen them in shops in france.Since i want to get the slider thing they are ruled out.Great pictures of real ski mountaineering by the way!

kheegster

Re: Alp wings

by kheegster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Aksel wrote:The alp wings/light wings are great tools for allround use.Grivel really got the balance right in these tools i belive.I own a pair of alp wings and now i would like to purchase a light wing or matrix light so i could use the slider on it for plunging ability while still being able to climb leashless.The matrix light does not appear to be as good as the light wing,but i might be wrong about this.Anyone has done a comparison? The new petzl tool might also be good,but it did seem a bit flimsy compared to the light wing.Im also considering some dedicated leashless tools at the moment,but can not decide beetwen the nomic and the grivel offerings.The BD fusion is ruled out beacuse of pure ice performance.

If you can wait for a couple of months and have the cash to spare, apparently the new Fusions are awesome on ice (they look suspiciously similar to Nomics though...).

I have a pair of Najas and I agree that they're great alpine tools... I even managed to self-arrest on one of them once. However, I was under the impression that the Grivel sliders and horns can work with other brands of axes as well... I'll probably go to a store this weekend and check if I can get horns on my Najas.

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Kheegster let me know if that works!

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:38 pm

brenta wrote:
Ski Mountaineer wrote:Three Grivel Light Wings (one with The Horn, one with a Slider handrest), and the yellow is an Aitech Revolution.
SM

Actually, if you look carefully, you'll see that two of the Light Wings (as well as the Air Tech Hammer) have a Slider.

Actually, if you look reeeeally carefully, you'll see that the first Light Wing has a Horn at the bottom, not a Slider. :D

blazin

by blazin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Alpinisto wrote:
brenta wrote:
Ski Mountaineer wrote:Three Grivel Light Wings (one with The Horn, one with a Slider handrest), and the yellow is an Aitech Revolution.
SM

Actually, if you look carefully, you'll see that two of the Light Wings (as well as the Air Tech Hammer) have a Slider.

Actually, if you look reeeeally carefully, you'll see that the first Light Wing has a Horn at the bottom, not a Slider. :D

^^^ This iz korekt.

Snowy

Light Wings

by Snowy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Light wings indeed. I picked up a retired demo pair a few years ago and haven't been able to bring myself to sell them. They swing nicely and are a super alpine tool for me.

Previous

Return to Gear