Pacific Crest Bike Trail vs. Pacific Crest Trail

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Wandering Sole Images

by Wandering Sole Images » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:30 pm

I found this online - the back cover of the Bil Paul book showing the PCT in blue and the PCBT in red.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:51 pm

I have seen bikers on the PCT. =-) Thought about doing it myself. Could do all of N. Cal/S. CAL and most of Oregon in a couple days, my wouldn't that be nice, blast through all that boredom to get to the good stuff. Bikes are only banned in wilderness areas, though I have seen bikes in wilderness area trails as well.

Bikes don't rip up trails, POWERED bikes rip up trails. Horses RIP up trails and pollute said trails along with the streams/lakes. Mtn bikes? Nah, most trails can't be ridden fast anyways, if you did you would quickly be in the hospital.

Hulio wrote:I found this online - the back cover of the Bil Paul book showing the PCT in blue and the PCBT in red.

no avatar
testid

by testid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 am

Wastral wrote:Bikes are only banned in wilderness areas,...

I think this is incorrect.

The forest service pct website states.

Can anybody travel on the PCT?

The trail is open to the public for foot and equestrian travel only, bicycle and motorized vehicles are not permitted . Persons who camp overnight along the trail often may need a backcountry in several of the management units. Other areas may require an entrance or parking permit. Please check with the local area manager for specific site information.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 am

Oh goody beauracracy gone even further amok in CA. Glad I don't hike there regularly.

Brian
testid wrote:
Wastral wrote:Bikes are only banned in wilderness areas,...

I think this is incorrect.

The forest service pct website states.

Can anybody travel on the PCT?

The trail is open to the public for foot and equestrian travel only, bicycle and motorized vehicles are not permitted . Persons who camp overnight along the trail often may need a backcountry in several of the management units. Other areas may require an entrance or parking permit. Please check with the local area manager for specific site information.

no avatar
testid

by testid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Wastral wrote:Oh goody beauracracy gone even further amok in CA. Glad I don't hike there regularly.

What does this have to do with CA specifically? The same rules apply to the PCT in Oregon and Washington.

Vic Hanson

by Vic Hanson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:15 pm

I too am a hiker and a mtn. biker (but not a horseman). I hiked the PCT in 2006 and really got tired of the mtn. bikers and dirt bikers riding on the trail in S. California. Yes, the dirt bikers did most of the damage, especially on the sandy hills. I also got very tired of the horse manure on the trail, especially in the Sierra and Cascades. The PCT is under the control of the Pacific Crest Trail Association (PCTA), under power granted by all the state and federal agencies associated with the trail. Wheeled vehicles of any kind are prohibited on the whole trail, including wheelchairs, water or pack rollers, or any other kind of wheeled vehicle you could imagine or dream up. Also motor vehicles of any kind are prohibited as well, so no hovercrafts either! I do think they carry this too far as chain saws are prohibited too, which would make trail maintenance a lot easier.

Sure there are many sections where I would have loved to ride my mtn. bike on it, but the joy of never having to worry about one blasting down behind you was well worth not allowing them, in my opinion.

I think that mtn. bikes are allowed on some parts of the TRT (Tahoe Rim Trail), where it is separate from the PCT, as well as some (much?) of the CDT (Continental Divide Trail). I think that all need to work together to enjoy access to the great outdoor areas and promote the best uses for the majority of the people, but also agree with various use restrictions in special cases. The PCT is SPECIAL!!

Check out my PCT object and trip report if interested.
http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object/292576/Pacific-Crest-Trail.html
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/344229/thru-hike-of-the-pacific-crest-trail.html

Vic

Previous

Return to California