Spantik repair: help needed!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
JanVanGenk

Spantik repair: help needed!

by JanVanGenk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Here's the problem: I have excessive wear issues with my La Sportiva Spantiks. And the boots are even not that old, exactly one year. They have been used for 3 weeks in the Chilean Andes, 3 weeks on Aconcagua, 1 week in Patagonia and 3 weeks in the Alps, this being the total time including the use of the approach shoes whenever possible. The inner lining of the outer boots is worn out in places and has even a couple of holes in it (see photos). The inner booties are ok, except of the fact that there are break lines along the ankle flex area which at one place is such that the insulation is broken and only the fabric holds the thing together (so it's only a question of time when it rips open). I've taken the boots back to the shop where I bought them, and they agreed that the wear signs shouldn't be such. So the boots went back to La Sportiva repair center, but all they did was to fix a rubber rand which was a bit open at one place (this problem occurred in the very beginning when I started to wear the boots). The sizing is correct, so it's not an issue of wearing too big boots. I tried to repair the lining in the outer boots by applying Seamgrip to a few holes (just to prevent the fabric from further tear), but I'm not sure it's the best solution. And what to do with the inner booties? I'm sure on the field duct tape will work, but I just don't want to duct tape them right now, hoping to find a better solution.

For all Spantiks' owners:

1) Have you had similar wear-out issues? Do you find it normal that such wear-out appears after relatively short period of use?
2) What's the best way to repair the problematic spots?
3) What might be the cause? Just poor quality, or something else?

This is my left outer boot. Notice all the wear-out spots. The layer is coming loose around these wear-out spots. The hole on the right is repaired with Seamgrip.

My right outer boot:

Inner bootie with the problematic area where the insulation is broken:

This black fabric area is also a weak spot. Out of 4 such spots, 1 shows signs of abrasion, and again, I don't have a good idea on how to fix it:

divnamite

by divnamite » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Have you tried to contact sportiva? I know their boots have one year warranty. Even thought it could argue that it's normal wear and tear, but it seems excessive. Good luck!

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 pm

My LS Nupste boots, a very similar boot, had similar problems within 3 weeks of use on Aconcagua. I had really good customer service from LS though, sent the boots in, they replaced them no questions asked, and haven't had any problems since. I would contact them before you do anything.

brandon

by brandon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Categorizing all that as normal wear and tear is not unreasonable. You've put quite a few miles on 'em it seems.

OTOH, in the past I've found Sportiva to be more accomodating. Have an indepth conversation with one of their reps or warranty service folks if you can.

How are you getting all the wear between the inner and outer boot. Do you take the inners out and put them back in every day? Is it the heel of the inner abrading the liner of the outer when you force em back in there?

I'd just singe the frays with a lighter to prevent further unraveling and call it good.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:19 pm

I've had two pairs of Olympus Mons, which are similar materials inside, and one pair of Nuptses, which are different. I've noticed similar wear on the OMs after similar or less wear than your Spantiks (2 x 8wk expeditions). But as Brandon says, the wear is not necessarily unreasonable. OMs in particular are meant to be very light, high-end boots not worn all the time. Many owners would only 'wear' them 8 weeks a year (with a lot of this time spent sitting in BC in down booties!) and most owners would use them less. Spantiks have inherited this basic construction, even if they are suitable, and bought with the intent to, use more than 8 weeks a year.

Maybe Spantiks should be beefed up more, or use different materials, but then they would be heavier and more expensive. They were not really designed to use every weekend, nor for the constant scree of the High Andes and similar routes - there are other boots for that.

So I would say the wear is borderline OK/not OK, but try LaSportiva anyway. And though it is far from ideal, don't remove the liners unless you have to. And use duct tape ;-)

D

Return to Gear