Mount Hood Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
godskid5

by godskid5 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:44 pm

planning on skinning up to crater rock/ hogsback early sunday morning for a "get back in shape" climb!! I'll let you know what it looks like when we get back.
just got my first split board, dying to try it out!! woo hoooo

MountainZeus

by MountainZeus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 pm

I am going tonight to climb the reid headwall I will let you know how it goes

godskid5

by godskid5 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:18 am

MountainZeus wrote:I am going tonight to climb the reid headwall I will let you know how it goes

How'd it go??

MountainZeus

by MountainZeus » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:21 am

It ended up being a great day the sun was shining and the temps were perfect. The conditions were good but could have been better. On the way up to Illumination saddle the snow was good except for some parts with a thin crust which made for a little postholing Once on the Reid glacier the snow was deep and made for a miserable wallowfest to the base of the route which had a fair amount of ice in it and was excellent. On the way out down the Hogsback the snow was soft and perfect for plunging. All in all a great day we were the only ones on the mountain.

rmick25

by rmick25 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:06 am

Was up on the south side of Hood on sunday 29th. Weather was beautiful and is supposed to be nice for the early part of this week.

Snow was packed reasonably well low and boot track can be followed from end of lift up the South side. Avalanche danger was low. Took Old Chute route as Pearly Gates was out of service.

Talked to a couple of guys who came up the Reid headwall and they said conditions were pretty nice. Deep snow from Illumination saddle to headwall. I'm sure there is a decent boot track there now though.

EastKing

by EastKing » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:51 am

Wow all the talk on Hood has me interested. Though Hood is a repeat, I'd like to begin 2010 in a big way. I will only go down there if avy danger is low and the weather is good. That being said should I approach the same way I did in April and May with an 11:30 pm start or should I make it a 2:00 am start or even a daytime (6:00 am) start. Also will the rock and icefall be less? I am just curious?? I love that peak and I have the standard route glued in my head.
Last edited by EastKing on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rmick25

by rmick25 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:36 am

Curious as to why you would leave at 1130am or the afternoon? Night summit?

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)