Weird Question about Aconcagua

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
ibndalight

Weird Question about Aconcagua

by ibndalight » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:10 am

I am leaving in two weeks to climb aconcauga. Does anyone who has climbed the mountain before think i should bring a pee bottle? I know i used one on Denali but wasn't sure if it was nessary on aconcauga.

ibndalight

Thank

by ibndalight » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks midwesttransplant but i am not going on a guided trip. I was just wondering if anyone had found it helpful in the past.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:27 am

A pee bottle is always nice to have so you don't have to get out of the tent at night when you have to go. I use a Nalgene canteen because it packs down small. Just pour it out in the morning away from any water sources.

ibndalight

Thanks

by ibndalight » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:31 am

Thanks Brad i knew i could count on your experienced advice.

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 am

Just picked up my pee bottle. Nalgene Canteens are really light and compact, hard to find around here though.

We leave Dec 7th and will arrive in Penitentes on Dec 9th.

When will you be there? What route are you taking?

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:42 am

No problem. Have a safe climb and keep an eye out for Eric (Pyroman9 above) and his partner.

HeyItsBen

Re: Thank

by HeyItsBen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:22 am

I found a pee bottle to be very useful at high camp, didn't use it otherwise but was glad I had it.

midwesttransplant wrote:
ibndalight wrote:Thanks midwesttransplant but i am not going on a guided trip. I was just wondering if anyone had found it helpful in the past.

no guide and your posting about whether or not to bring a piss container...? Wow...you live dangerously. Maybe you should be talking to some trust fund babies about what they pissed in when doing their seven summits.

Awesome contribution again midwest. Wasn't that you tearing someone up for slaughtering the English language in another post?

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 8046b2e46b

Try checking your own grammar between such pleasantry.

bird

Re: Thank

by bird » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 pm

midwesttransplant wrote:
ibndalight wrote:Thanks midwesttransplant but i am not going on a guided trip. I was just wondering if anyone had found it helpful in the past.

no guide and your posting about whether or not to bring a piss container...? Wow...you live dangerously. Maybe you should be talking to some trust fund babies about what they pissed in when doing their seven summits.

Wow...who emptied their pee bottle in your Cornflakes?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 pm

The question has already been answered, and even crapped upon by Deleted User, but I will give my +1 for the pee bottle.

Normally, in a real bed, I sleep all night and just go in the morning, after I wake up. But when sleeping in a tent, I wake up several times during the night, and if I have to go, I cannot fall back asleep. So I used the bottle.

But I preferred not to use a Nalgene bottle that I would someday want to drink from. Plastic is not completely impervious to "chemicals" and odors, so not everything just washes out.

In Argentina, I wound up using a 1.5-liter bottle that I had from buying water in a store. The problem was that it was one of those small-mouth bottles, and that made it a little more challenging in the tent at 03:00. A Gatorade bottle, with the wider mouth, would have been a lot more practical. Personally, I would choose the 64-oz bottle, but you might get away with using the 32-oz variety if you're small and don't pee much. (Both have the same size mouth.)

The point is I don't remember seeing 64-oz Gatorades in Mendoza, so it may be worthwhile to bring an empty one from home. It will take some luggage volume, but at least an empty one won't put your luggage over the weight limit.

attimount

by attimount » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:11 am

Yes, it is a good idea.You will have to drink a lots of water so I don't think you will sleep thru the night without going to pee. Also you can mark the pee bottle if it is a Nalgene.
I personaly did not use pee bottel but I hear :D lots of other mountainers useing it.
Good luck with your climb and enjoy Mendoza as much as possible.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:59 pm

I agree with the others about bringing a pee bottle but then again, you have to get up in the middle of the night if you want to see the Southern Cross. I recall the first time I saw the Soutern Cross and I understood immediately "why I came that way". It was to take a dump at 4 in the morning at Camp Canada on Aco. I was doing my business, looked up, and there it was. It was my most memorable bowel movement ever...
Last edited by Alpinist on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Day Hiker wrote:In Argentina, I wound up using a 1.5-liter bottle that I had from buying water in a store. The problem was that it was one of those small-mouth bottles, and that made it a little more challenging in the tent at 03:00. A Gatorade bottle, with the wider mouth, would have been a lot more practical. Personally, I would choose the 64-oz bottle, but you might get away with using the 32-oz variety if you're small and don't pee much. (Both have the same size mouth.)

The point is I don't remember seeing 64-oz Gatorades in Mendoza, so it may be worthwhile to bring an empty one from home. It will take some luggage volume, but at least an empty one won't put your luggage over the weight limit.

Hey Day Hiker, have you tried the Nalgene canteens? They have the wide mouth opening for easier aim?, are lightweight, roll up in to a very small size and won't be mistaken for a water bottle. They even come in a 96 ounce size so you wouldn't have to dump it out for days! :lol:

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:54 pm

I used a Gatorade bottle. An excellent choice. I wished I'd had two a couple of nights. Since an empty pee bottle is liable to get blown right off the mountain, you may even consider three. In fact, I once had to down climb to get my plate and cup etc. Have to hold onto that stuff all the time.

William Marler

by William Marler » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:24 am

yes bring one

1vertical1

by 1vertical1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:33 am

Bring it. I even use one on summer climbing trips when sleep in my truck.

Next

Return to South America