Denver Options

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
bgriffs

Denver Options

by bgriffs » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:17 am

I'll be in the Denver area from 12/11-12/14 and was hoping to get some recommendations for outdoor fun. It doesn't seem like there will be much snow on the mountains by that time so I doubt skiing would be a good possibility. Are the 14ers or other peaks still doable at this point or are conditions awful now? I've heard some ice climbing routes are open or coming in, so that might be an option too (I've never tried it, but sounds like fun). Thanks for your help!

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

bgriffs wrote:I'll be in the Denver area from 12/11-12/14 and was hoping to get some recommendations for outdoor fun. It doesn't seem like there will be much snow on the mountains by that time so I doubt skiing would be a good possibility.

Now, hold on a minute. It's not even December 1st. A lot can change here in 10 days. :lol: Keep an eye on the forecast. There's snow at the higher elevations you just have to be willing to look for it.

bgriffs wrote:Are the 14ers or other peaks still doable at this point or are conditions awful now?

The 14ers are doable year-round so don't dismiss them. And what do you mean by awful conditions? They're never awful - it's just a personal choice of how long a day and how much of a sufferfest you want.

bgriffs wrote:I've heard some ice climbing routes are open or coming in, so that might be an option too (I've never tried it, but sounds like fun). Thanks for your help!

Guess my question here is how you expect to climb ice if you've never done it. Have gear lined up? Partner? That'd be the first round of inquiries. It's fun for certain but if you've never tried it I wouldn't recommend going solo. There's another thread in the forum that'll give you information on what's doable right now. Lincoln Falls is in and there's some stuff in Officer's Gulch as well.

PS There's a big arse system in the Pacific heading our way. Now, as always, it could slam us or do what the last storm did and veer south.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 pm

You and me both, dohood. Next time for certain. Glad you had a good time.

bgriffs

by bgriffs » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks for your advice Martha. I'll keep an eye on the forecast. I'd probably end up doing something solo, so that's why I'm concerned about conditions. As far as ice climbing goes, I would pony up and hire a guide for safety sake and to learn more about it.

Return to Colorado